Lathe drum switch wiring question

Old 02-05-08, 05:49 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lathe drum switch wiring question

Hello everyone,

I have an old Logan lathe with a Furnas drum switch and a General Electric 1PH, 1725RPM, 1/2HP motor. I was hoping someone could help me wire it up as the manual and what diagrams i've been able to find on the net haven't helped me much.

The motor has 4 wires- 2 sets of red and brown, and the switch has 3 wires- green, black and white (new cord i purchased to replace old one). The switch has 3 terminals on each side (total 6) corresponding to "Forward" and "Reverse".

Can someone kindly point me in the right direction?..maybe identifying by color what goes where?.

Below are some pics of the switch, motor and diagram that i found on the net that looks similar to what i have(mine did not have a diagram)..i tried to wire it up as the diagram but no luck.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Brent

Last edited by Brentoxicated; 02-05-08 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-05-08, 07:17 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Doesn't your switch have wiring diagrams inside the cover? Mine does.

If not, look at this pdf. Scroll down to pages five and six.

http://www.calcentron.com/PDF_Docume...ols/p41-46.pdf

Old 02-05-08, 07:32 AM
B
Hi, Thanks for the reply.. No, mine didn't have a diagram on the inside cover.. I edited my original post and added some pics. thanks

Brent

Old 02-05-08, 11:31 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
That bottom picture is from the motor or the switch? If it is from the motor which terminals are red and brown wires attached to?

Old 02-05-08, 11:41 AM
B
Hi Joed,

The bottom picture i got off the net..supposedly its from a Furnas Drum switch. It looked similar to what i have in terms of configuration of wires on the motor,etc. The motor i have has red and brown wires.. both red wires on my motor correspond to "L1" and "L2" on that diagram..

Thanks for your help,
Brent

Old 02-05-08, 12:17 PM
F
Yep, that picture you posted is identical to the diagram inside my switch.

Your line cord (the one you plug into the wall receptacle) has three wires. You connect the black as L1 on the switch, the white as L2 and the green gets connected (with a ring lug) to the case of the switch.

You also need to run a green from the switch case (the same connection as the green in the line cord) to the motor frame.

You now have to determine how the four motor leads would be connected if you did not use the reversing switch and then which two wire need to be "swapped" to reverse the motor. That information may be in the cover over the terminal box or on the motor nameplate.

Old 02-06-08, 06:29 AM
B
Thanks for the info Furd!. Exactly the level of detail i need!

One more question: I tried wiring it as you described (see pic) however when i tried the switch it tripped the circuit breaker. The motor doesn't have a diagram on the plate..only basic info on horsepower,etc. On a motor such as this with 4 wires, are 2 live and 2 ground typically?.

Thanks in advance,
Brent

Old 02-06-08, 12:03 PM
F
With four leads to the motor you may be dealing with a dual-voltage (120/240) motor that does not have the capability of being reversed.

Or, you may have a single-voltage motor that does have the reversing capability. Without a wiring diagram or at the very least the label/nameplate detailing which leads to swap for reversing you are pretty much up the creek without a paddle.

If you have an ohmmeter test all the combinations of the four wires. Write down the results and post back. Maybe I can offer some help.

Old 02-06-08, 12:15 PM
B
Will do. Thanks Furd.

Brent

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: