What is the best way to install a outlet in my garage?

Old 01-25-08, 08:40 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is the best way to install a outlet in my garage?

I want to get power to a work station in my garage, but I only have one receptacle on the other side of the garage. What should be my first step for running a line to a j-box by my work station? The breaker box is located in my garage. Is it better to run the line to my breaker box or should I try to run the line from the other receptacle?

Old 01-25-08, 09:34 PM
F
A couple things. If this is the garage, you should have GFCI protection somewhere on the circuit. Next, figure out what you're planning on powering, what else is on the existing circuit, and what size breaker is currently on the circuit.

A couple circuits might make sense especially for high draw power tools. At the very least, I would separate the lighting, so the lights don't dim every time something is turned on.

Old 01-26-08, 12:36 PM
S
Your existing receptical is probably on a 15a circuit, and it might be shared with other rooms in the house. I would run a new 20a circuit from the panel (using cable with 12 guage wires). Run 2 new circuits if you will be using 2 tools at once (saw and vacuum) and/or want to use a space heater. You might also consider adding a switch near your workstation and connecting it to an outlet in the ceiling for a shoplight. Depending on the scope of your project, you might consider a circuit for a freezer, garage door opener, Christmas lights or attic fan. These are projects that I would like to do, but it's easier to sit in front of the computer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: