Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can't Make Sense of This? Is It Normal? Time To call a Pro?

Old 01-26-08, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

This is my current Kitchen/Dinning room light switches. The boxes are switches. The dinning room one is on the left in the drawing. I want to add another light switch and make the dinning room light be controlled by both.

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding what is going on here. Conceptually, it doesn't make sense to me. The 5 white 14-2 wires all go straight up into the attic and I can't really tell which is which or where they go.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-08, 01:06 AM
Let me try this are you try to add a 3 way switch that what you are trying to figure it out ??

If so the left romax what you have on the drawing that one go to the dinning room luminaire and please do correct me is that is a dimmer switch ??

and the middle three wires are power one is incomming and other two will go somewhere else [ you will have to map this out when you shut off the breaker for this circuit] and far right cable that go to living room luminaire.

The living room switch you leave that part alone dont mess with it.

anyway you will need 14-3 or 12-3 romax [ depending on what wire size you got in the box there ] and you will have to change that dinning room switch or dimmer to 3 way type.
the three way switch will look diffrent and the switch itself will have two screw simuair colours and third screw useally dark colour type and that dark colour one is called common.

my wise advise is get a wiring simpifed book it will really show the diagram how to hook up the 3 way connection there.

while i am on this subject here my other conderastion is the amout of room in box it may be little tight espcally this is true with shallow box.

you may end up get a deep well 2 gang box to slove this issue there.

if have more question please do post it here.

Merci, Marc

Old 01-26-08, 01:31 AM
eh, what is up with everyone today recommending "Wiring Simplified"? You'd think we got a cut!

You don't need the book for this one, but you really need to appreciate how important neatness is and how dangerous electricity can be

That said three ways can come in a variety of flavors, you just have to know where the power is coming from and pick one of the options. The easiest is power - switch - switch - light, but there are many, many options if that doesn't work. Here are your options:
http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/in...way-switch.htm

Old 01-26-08, 07:00 AM
That drawing all looks fine to me. Don't be overly concerned with completely understanding it.

One of the three cables in the middle brings power into the switch box. The other two cables of the three in the middle take power to other locations on the circuit.

The cable on the left goes to the dining room light, or so you have told us.

The cable on the right goes to some other light, or so you have told us.

To change an existing on/off switch to a 3 way switch and add a second 3 way switch requires that you run a three conductor (plus ground) cable from the first switch to the new switch.

If you can fish a 14-3 (or 12-3 if a 20 amp circuit) cable into this box, then you can do what you want. Fish the cable, change the existing switch and make the appropriate connections. Wiring Simplified or any good book on home wiring will have the pictures you need and tell you what connections are necessary.

Old 01-26-08, 07:43 AM
Received 113 Votes on 103 Posts
To add a three way switch only requires adding the proper cable from the existing switch to the new switch location.
DO NOT change any of the wiring in the original box. You only need to deal with the two wires connected to the original switch and the ground. All the rest stays the same

Remove the existing switch and connect one of the wires to the common of your new switch.
Connect the black from new cable to the other wire from the original switch.
Connect the remaining two wries from the new cable to the traveler screws on the two three way switches.

Connect all the grounds together.

Old 01-26-08, 09:05 AM
I've spent a solid 45 minutes reading posts, looking at wiring diagrams and drawing things out on paper.....

And now I feel silly for not being able to do it myself. I can't thank you all enough - I'm going over and wire this bad-boy up.

Old 01-26-08, 01:01 PM
eh, what is up with everyone today recommending "Wiring Simplified"? You'd think we got a cut!
"You mean you havent gotten the check yet'??????

$6.95 + tax, is a small price to pay, for what it offers.