Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

adding to 2 motion light and a receptacle, and a dishwasher...some code question

adding to 2 motion light and a receptacle, and a dishwasher...some code question

Old 01-26-08, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Ok i want to add 2 motion lights at each end of my house (2) (after being broken into i am determined to deter it this time,) And a receptacle im going to run conduit from the *surface mounted receptacle* to the attic (ending the conduit once in the attic)then one of the motion then to the other ( in a series), now my question it do i have to run conduit through the attic or can i lay the wire of the trusses like the rest of my wire. I am adding the motion lights on the fasia or soffit ( i guess thats what its called) i will be adding the light boxes too. All i am going to run on the receptacle is a 16 channel camera junction box.

Also wiring for a dishwasher i am going to run 12/2 wire from the breaker box to the dishwasher which will be a dedicated circuit. i have to remove my dry wall. (water damaged) Woul i have to run (NM) from the dishwasher to the attic?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-08, 06:04 PM
Ok, question A- if the wiring in the attic is stapled to the joists it needs to have furring strips protecting it on both sides. Check it out .

B- Could you not go up from the basement with the 12/2? I assume this a 1st floor kitchen .

You have the right idea with 12/2 and dedicated circuit however.

Old 01-27-08, 06:41 PM
you can run nm cable parallel to and on framing members, the only time you need to protect it in the attic is within 6 feet of scuttle hole or where subject to svere physical damage like storage spaces
Originally Posted by burkej62 View Post
Ok, question A- if the wiring in the attic is stapled to the joists it needs to have furring strips protecting it on both sides. Check it out .

B- Could you not go up from the basement with the 12/2? I assume this a 1st floor kitchen .

You have the right idea with 12/2 and dedicated circuit however.