Stoopid Question

Old 01-26-08, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stoopid Question

My electrical knowledge isNull.

I've converted my back porch light into a security light. I want this light to always stay on. With kids in the house that like to play with switches, I want to put a plate in place of the switch.

Can I wire nut the black and white together and slap a plate over it?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-08, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
always on

don't know about the code aspect, but what about if you wanted to change the bulb...wouldn't it be hot all the time?

They sell at most home centers and good hardware stores, a little clip that attaches to one of the plate screws, that will lock the switch on or off. Different styles, some cover the switch, some use both screws, some use one. And I've seen both plastic and metal. Gives you a lot more flexability.

Old 01-26-08, 12:43 PM
How about a big rubber Hand, that swings off the ceiling, and a tape recorder that yells "Dont Touch The Light Switch"

But seriously..
Especially since there are children involved, I dont like ANYTHING that cannot be "Turned -Off" in an emergency.Most local safety codes dont either. I would either go with "Gunguy" and Lock out the switch, or relocate the switch out of reach.

If you want to go extreme, most "Motion detectors" do have a "Always On" option-Hmmmm?

P.S. ---only in this case, and because you said your knowledge is Null...The white and black , in normal circumstances, NEVER GET TWISTED TOGETHER!!!!!!!!-----You have what is called a "switch Loop" , and the original installer should have Painted a Black stripe on the white wire with a Sharpie marker to Denote the circuit as such.....( you would be then be twisting 2 "Black " wires together)

Old 01-26-08, 01:34 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
how about one of these:

locking switch

the last items on this page

Old 01-26-08, 02:08 PM
Finally...

we had those in the halls back in high school, and everyone tells me I'm Nuts...

A few months back , someone posted about replacing a lost key for one of those things.....Thanks Nap..

Must Be a "Commercial" thing?????

Old 01-26-08, 04:06 PM
if its a motion light , heres a little trick no one really knows, but flip the switch to ON twice quick and the fixture overrides to on.ON OFF ON
Originally Posted by w3user View Post
My electrical knowledge isNull.

I've converted my back porch light into a security light. I want this light to always stay on. With kids in the house that like to play with switches, I want to put a plate in place of the switch.

Can I wire nut the black and white together and slap a plate over it?

Old 01-26-08, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
switch

Sparky,
I think he really just meant he didn't want the switch being turned off, or the light being constantly on 24/7, because of little fingers doing the sort of thing you describe.

Old 01-26-08, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Sparky,
I think he really just meant he didn't want the switch being turned off, or the light being constantly on 24/7, because of little fingers doing the sort of thing you describe.
Umm if he didn't want it on 24/7 then nutting the switch loop together ain't helping him any.

Old 01-27-08, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Hey burkej
What I meant in my reply to sparky was, if you do the on-off-on thing, then the light stays on 24/7, with no motion or light sensor control. And little hands could still turn it off.

What I think the OP wanted was for the security light (and I'm assuming it has the pretty much standard motion and light sensors), to remain in its auto mode all the time. He could wire nut across the switch (equivalent to one "on" cycle), but then he'd loose any controlability except with the breaker.

Just clarifying what I meant