Can I put a junction box in a closet?

Old 01-27-08, 06:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I put a junction box in a closet?

It was to be a simple little project: Cut out a section of blank wall in the bathroom to put in a small 8-inch deep storage cabinet between two studs. The space behind that part of the wall is the width of the bathtub. Inside that wall, butted to the far side, is the chimney flue. Beyond that is the kitchen wall.

Yet another electrical issue showed up -- one of many I've found in this 35-year-old house. One of the former owners jumped 12/2 from a receptacle in the kitchen through that space and into to the attic to power a hallway light.

(racraft, before you yell at me for not finding this out during my circuit mapping, suffice to say that I completely missed it.)

The 12/2 is not secured to anything. Worse, it has a wire-nutted splice just hanging there in the open space.

I know I'll have to remove it from the kitchen recep -- which is doable without too much hassle. I can grab power from a bedroom lighting box in the basement.

Problem is, I can't get to the wiring to the hall light or switch without ripping out walls. (Go figure -- the jerk somehow managed to secure that wiring!)

Can I put a junction box in the back of the new closet, make the splice there, and cover it with a blank wall plate?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-08, 06:33 AM
Yes, you can put a junction box in the back wall of a closet.

Old 01-27-08, 07:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The box must remain accessible, and if you don't have enough slack to provide 6" of wire at the box you will need to install two boxes and a additional run between them.