Electrical Oven Problems....

Old 01-27-08, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical Oven Problems....

I thought I was done with my electrical work yesterday, when I added a 3-way switch and a regular switch to my dining room & kitchen. But, there was one thing I overlooked.

I don't have a gas line, so I need to have an electrical stove. Currently, there is a big fat wire (with 3 wires inside) running out of my floor, into a junction box. My old stove was wired to it, inside of the junction box. There were only 3 wires, (I believe I want to have 4 - because it is safer?).

Unfortunately for me, the layout of the Kitchen is changing - I need to get that hole that comes out of the middle of my floor to come out next to the wall.

The floor is 3/4 plywood.

Can someone tell me what the best way to move this sucker will be? It looks like I'll need to buy more cable; is this 10-3 or something else? It's on a 220v line.

Also, what would it take to replace it with something with 4 wires, that would be safer?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-08, 11:42 AM
If it;s only 10 gage it would be for an oven. A range is usually a 40 or 50 amp circuit, meaning larger cable.

Whether or not you can legally move this cable is a matter up for interpretation. Some people will say yes, others no. Clearly you cannot legally extend it.

What is safest would be to run a new four wire circuit properly sized for the unit you have or will be buying.

Old 01-27-08, 01:52 PM
The issues with the gauge of the wire have already been raised. Even it it turns out to be of adequate gauge, many inspectors would refuse to allow this circuit to be extended. They would allow you to use it as is/where is, but by extending it, you probably fall under a requirement to bring up to code, which would be a 4 wire circuit.

Did you mention what amp circuit breaker that outlet is connected to?

Old 01-27-08, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the replies all; I can't tell you how helpful this forum has been. I'll look and post the amps tomorrow.

I don't understand exactly why having 4 wires is safer than 3. But, I do want to do this 'right'; if 4 wires is what is going to keep my house from burning down - then that's what I want to do.

I've added switches, moved outlets, added a 3-way switch and even cleaned up some unsafe wiring in my attic - and everything I've done has gone fairly smoothly. Is this oven wiring essentially the same thing; or is this where I need to bring in a professional?

This would mean disconnecting the wire at the circuit breaker, right? That sounds a little scary to me. Then I'd have to run new cable all the way from the breaker to my Kitchen? I have no idea how that can be done without tearing up...well, a lot of different rooms.

If this is something I can reasonably do myself, can someone point me to a website or tutorial perhaps? I've got to move into the place by Feb 10th (my lease is up) and so I've got appliances being delivered on the 6th. By the time the appliances get here, I need to have the ceramic tiles installed; so this isn't really something that I can put off.

Thanks again

Old 01-27-08, 08:17 PM
Running the wire is the hardest part. Your best bet is to follow the old wire as much as you can from the basement. Working in the panel is extremely dangerous but pretty straight forward . Perhaps this is something to let a pro do for you since your on a timeline and I'd hate to see you rush to do this and not spend the time to learn the safety first they blow bits of your body off with a 240 volt shock ...

Old 01-27-08, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by burkej62 View Post
Running the wire is the hardest part. Your best bet is to follow the old wire as much as you can from the basement. Working in the panel is extremely dangerous but pretty straight forward . Perhaps this is something to let a pro do for you since your on a timeline and I'd hate to see you rush to do this and not spend the time to learn the safety first they blow bits of your body off with a 240 volt shock ...
I think you are right - I really don't think I'm at the level were I feel safe messing with the panel.

Would I save any money by running the wire from my Kitchen to my breaker box so that the electrician could just do the wiring? I've found some local guys on the internet; so I'll see what kind of estimate they can give me.

Old 01-28-08, 05:41 AM
If you are going to involve an electrician, then don't do anything until you speak with the electrician. Some may not want you to do any of the work, others may very well be okay with your doing some of the work. It all depends on the electrician.

Old 01-28-08, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
If you are going to involve an electrician, then don't do anything until you speak with the electrician. Some may not want you to do any of the work, others may very well be okay with your doing some of the work. It all depends on the electrician.
I'm glad you said this - the electrian I sent an e-mail to last night got back in touch with me today and asked that I don't do anything; and it makes sense - he doesn't want me to screw up something I'm going to blame him for later

Anyway, the guy is coming out tomorrow to give me an estimate; would anyone here have a rough idea of what kind of price range I can expect?