Electrical Outlet in Floor


Old 01-27-08, 09:36 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical Outlet in Floor

I'm installing book shelves/desk to replace a 15 ft long iron rod railing. The bottom of the bookcase overlaps an outlet in the floor. I realize I can move it, but it is surrounded on all sides with various supports. In another words a big project.

I believe it is in serial with another single outlet about 10 feet away. The second outlet is located in an ideal location, right under the desk.

Can I (is it available, appropriate and safe) replace the second single with a double and cover the first one. If available, where would I find one. The commercial home improvement center don't have these in stock.

Any words of wisdom, warnings, etc. would be very helpful. Thanks, Sarah
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-08, 10:47 AM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your words single and double confuse me.

Most receptacles in houses are duplex receptacles. That is, two receptacles in a single device. Simplex receptacles (one receptacle by itself) are rare in houses, and usually mean a dedicated circuit.

There are rules regarding spacing of receptacles in houses. Without going into all the detail, there must be a receptacle located within six feet of each doorway and at least every 12 feet thereafter. The gist of the rule is that a device with a six foot cord must be able to be placed anywhere along the wall and be plugged in without an extension cord.

Can you better word what you have and tell us what you would like to try to do.
Old 01-27-08, 11:04 AM
nap's Avatar
nap is offline
New Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: north
Posts: 4,163
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I believe she is talking about removing the one (proabably) duplex and blanking it off using the box as merely a junction box and changing the second (duplex) to a quad.

technically, this is allowable IF the bookcase is not a permanent installion. It has to be a movable unit as it is illegal to cover a junction box with any permanent structure of a building.

maybe you could answer this Bob as I don;t do much resi but my understanding is a floor recep is not counted within the required 12 foot spaced (max) receps. If so, then I would susect this is simply an additional recep that was installed in the floor and there would be not restrictions or problems caused by removing it.

as to the materials needed.

You need to know the manufacturer of the floor box as each manuf. had their own designs. Once you figure that out, you will need to find a supplier of this brand to purchase what you need.

If they are brass, be forewarned, they are not cheap.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: