Childproofing a floor outlet?

Old 01-27-08, 06:05 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Childproofing a floor outlet?

We have a circular in-ground floor outlet in the middle of our living room - it's a duplex outlet and we're only using one of the receptacles. We have a newly crawling baby and are looking to keep the kid away from the plug that's in use. We put a coffee table over it but he can still get in there, and we don't have another option to move that cord to another plug in the room. I'm looking for some sort of cover that we can attach over this outlet, but have searched with no luck. Is there any way to kid-proof an outlet like this? Parental supervision works fine, but the boy is drawn to this thing like a magnet.

Old 01-27-08, 06:19 PM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 432
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There may be a better cover but if not get the plastic push in plugs and use em everywhere. I was a bugger whne young with bobby pins and receptacles
Old 01-27-08, 07:20 PM
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OR
Posts: 71
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can replace the receptacle with a tamper-resistant receptacle like this , which will make it harder for the kid to stick anything into the unused half of the receptacle. You might be able to fit an in-use cover, intended to protect outdoor receptacles from rain, on the floor receptacle. Some in-use covers can be locked.
Old 01-27-08, 10:50 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,575
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
What about a locking thermostat cover? Notch it where the cord comes out. You might have to improvise how to fasten it but if it is not critical to put no holes in the floor a couple of screws might do.
Old 01-28-08, 08:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,941
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Replace the receptacle with a new TR (tamper resistant) design. The TR receptacles have a mechanism inside which prevents anything from being inserted into only one of the holes making it rather difficult to get anything in there other than a proper plug. Get a TR receptacle that also has built-in GFCI protection in case something does find its way into the receptacle. The chance of harmful shock is much less with GFCI protection.

Look at product #TRVGF15. Should be able to buy or order it from any electrical supply house or building store.

You also might need to pick up or order a new brass trim plate to fit the square "decorator" receptacle configuration for the floor box.
Old 01-28-08, 09:08 AM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,970
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

The other posters have given you good ideas.

I am going to ask why you maintain, "we don't have another option to move that cord to another plug in the room."

There are always options. You may not like those options, and they may be worse that the current situation, but there are options. I maintain that it would be better to abandon this receptacle completely than to find a way to make it useable.

You could, for example, not use whatever it is you have plugged in. You could move it closer to the wall and plug it into a traditional receptacle. Depending on what it is, you could find a battery operated version. Etc.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: