replacing vanity light...issue with outlet box?

Old 01-27-08, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing vanity light...issue with outlet box?

I am replacing the vanity lighting in my master bath. updating so to speak.
Now, I am not real savvy with electrical. I have installed (hard wire) a few appliances, hung a few fans, etc. But nothing too intense. This seemed like a real simple 1 hour job.

Here is my issue. The new fixture has one of those "universal mounting brackets" that you screw onto the outlet box thats in the wall. Besides the outlet box screws, the bracket has two long "mounting" screws that come out and go through the backplate and then have little decorative nuts on the front to tighten it down.

The mounting screws must go at "9 o'clock" and "3 o'clock" so the fixture will be level. The thing is, the mounting screws are too wide/too far apart to fit into the outlet box. Its like the outlet box would have to be turned 45 degrees for the screws not to hit the sides.

Now I dont know much about outlet boxes, but am I missing something here? Outlet boxes seem like they should be standard size and such. I can send a picture if that would help describe the issue?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-08, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your description is a little confusing but from what i understand the mounting bar aint fitting. Your new fixture should have came with one of its own that will fit. Some are adjustable if you look in the middle there sometimes is a screw you can loosen to rotate .