GFCI & multiwire circuits

Old 01-28-08, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI & multiwire circuits

On another thread, I got the impression that if you have a multiwire circuit that you wanted GFCI protected, you would have to have ALL receptacles be GFCI rather than piggybacking off one (or in this case, two).

Maybe I misunderstood, or maybe I am doing something wrong. Let's find out...

I am wiring my shed using a multiwire branch circuit from the house. Once inside shed, I am splitting off into two separate runs--one for each hot wire. Each will carry its own neutral split off from the incoming multiwire circuit.

I was only planning to have one GFCI receptacle on each run and then to piggyback the rest of everything else (several more receptacles and several lights) off the GFCI load terminals.

Is this acceptable? What is wrong with it, if anything and why?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-08, 07:08 PM
I think what you read was regarding a multiwire that was just three wires linear all the way. The way you are describing it sounds OK to me.

Remember to not put stuff on GFI that should not be on GFI, such as a refrigerator, freezer, or a door operator.

Old 01-28-08, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by ArgMeMatey View Post
I think what you read was regarding a multiwire that was just three wires linear all the way. The way you are describing it sounds OK to me.

Remember to not put stuff on GFI that should not be on GFI, such as a refrigerator, freezer, or a door operator.

Becarefull with this because the code change in 08 code cycle they elemated all the loopholes on what you mention so everything have to be either GFCI or AFCI but in the garage if your state allready adpoted the 08 code you are out of luck with that.

that go the same with basement [ unfinished ] as well

Merci, Marc

Old 01-28-08, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Becarefull with this because the code change in 08 code cycle they elemated all the loopholes on what you mention so everything have to be either GFCI or AFCI but in the garage if your state allready adpoted the 08 code you are out of luck with that.

that go the same with basement [ unfinished ] as well

Merci, Marc
Thanks for the update. I was thinking about my own garage, which has only the overhead door with electric opener for access - no service door. If the opener were powered by my notoriously trippy GFCI out there, I would be crawling through the window three times a week.

Does this now include the refrigerator in the kitchen? I'd hate to spoil all that food on a nuisance trip.

Old 01-28-08, 10:01 PM
sure no problem and yes you have to run the frezzer with the GFCI.

as far you know our state [ wisconsin ] still on 05 so we still in clear ATM but it may go in effect sometime this summer or fall after hevey debate with the regulations.

Merci, Marc

Old 01-29-08, 10:14 AM
Just to be clear, the issue with GFCI and multi-wire circuits is only if you have a _shared_ neutral on the _load_ side of the GFCI. This will make the GFCI trip.

If you only connect the shared neutral to the _line_ side of the GFCI, or if you split the neutral so that it is no longer shared once you get to the GFCI, then there is no problem.

-Jon