Another Code Question....

Old 01-29-08, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another Code Question....

I have a live/hot 14-2 wire hanging down from my Kitchen ceiling that I want to get rid of completely.

Tracking down where that wire gets power from and disconnecting it so that it is completely dead is something I can do - but it would a bit difficult.

I was told that capping it/taping it and sticking it into the ceiling would be a code violation (and dangerous) so I don't want to do that.

Can I simply pull it through the ceiling and into my crawlspace and install an outlet up there? The times that I was up there; an outlet would have been handy to have - but I don't think I've ever seen an electrical outlet up in a tiny attic like I've got. Is this a safe and easy alternative to disconnecting the wire completely?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-08, 09:14 AM
Yes, the wire can be pulled into the crawl space and terminated in a junction box. You don't need to place a receptacle into the box, just put a blank cover over it.

You probably can, if you wish, place a receptacle in the box. However, the details matter. What circuit is this on?

Old 01-29-08, 09:15 AM
Yes, I see no problem doing that.

Old 01-29-08, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Yes, the wire can be pulled into the crawl space and terminated in a junction box. You don't need to place a receptacle into the box, just put a blank cover over it.

You probably can, if you wish, place a receptacle in the box. However, the details matter. What circuit is this on?
It's the 'Kitchen lights' circuit. It's on a 15 amp breaker. It powers the Kitchen light, dinning room light, porch light, and the living room light (which might also include a fan).

The thing is - it doesn't have any outlets/recepticles and all of the outlets I do have are on 20amp lines; but I didn't plan on using this for anything other than a light for when I'm crawling around in the attic.

Old 01-29-08, 09:39 AM
Do you not have a kitchen light? Lights are required in most rooms, or a switched receptacle into which a light can be plugged in). Removing this light may create a code violation. You may already have a violation since you state (or at least imply) there is no light on the wires now.

Another item to consider is the switch for this part of the circuit. Certainly there is, or at least was, a switch. What do you intend to do or what have you done with the switch?

There is a piece of the story we are missing. Could you provide the rest of the details.

Old 01-29-08, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Do you not have a kitchen light? Lights are required in most rooms, or a switched receptacle into which a light can be plugged in). Removing this light may create a code violation. You may already have a violation since you state (or at least imply) there is no light on the wires now.

Another item to consider is the switch for this part of the circuit. Certainly there is, or at least was, a switch. What do you intend to do or what have you done with the switch?

There is a piece of the story we are missing. Could you provide the rest of the details.

I'm sorry - I think I was a bit unclear.

The house I ended up buying was a bank-owned forclosure. I don't know the back-story; but whoever had the place before me was in the middle of renovations - one of my bathrooms is 100% empty (no sink, no toliet, no drywall - but a very nice, clearly new, tiled shower wall).

In the kitchen they installed a bunch of recessed lights; I think they must have had plans for this wire that is sticking out of the middle where the lights are - but I have no idea what they were thinking they'd do with it.

I used a circuit testor on the wires and determined that - regardless of what I do with the kitchen or dining room light switches - they are still getting power. I'd almost say that it was for the range hood - except that they already had a hood running off a different line.

Essentially, it's just a live wire hanging in the middle of my kitchen. I've traced back the wire and I know that it runs down the wall to where my kitchen and dinning room light switches.

If I remove this wire from the kitchen, I'd still have kitchen lights controled by the wall switch and a cable for my range hood.

I hope that makes more sense; then again, I could be missing something. My first attempt at adding a light switch ended with the light switch controlling my hallway, porch and living room - instead of just my living room.

Old 01-29-08, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the clarification.

There is no problem with you terminating this cable in the crawl space and even putting a receptacle on it in the crawl space.

You may want to change the wiring, if it has not already been done, so that the wire ic no longer switched.

Old 01-29-08, 11:25 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If your main reason is light in the attic then you might consider terminating it in a light fixture. You could run a switch loop to your attic door/hatch.