Redoing some wiring

Old 01-29-08, 03:53 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Redoing some wiring

This is probably an easy question...

I have 3 circuits that are general purpose outlets wired with 12/2 and one lighting circuit wired with 14/2.

I am looking at a box that has two spaces with the possibility of four circuits. However, it appears that when using the mini breakers you can only get 15 and 15 amp or 20 and 20 amp. With that being the case, can I put one of my general use outlet circuits wired with 12/2 on a 15 amp breaker? Or do I need to get to a bigger size panel?

Thanks,

Brad

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-08, 04:03 PM
as much as i hate piggyback breakers, yes you can do that the only thing required to be on a 20 amp breaker are kitchen outlets(small appliance) bathroom outlets, laundry outlet etc. but yes you can.
Originally Posted by werneb01 View Post
This is probably an easy question...

I have 3 circuits that are general purpose outlets wired with 12/2 and one lighting circuit wired with 14/2.

I am looking at a box that has two spaces with the possibility of four circuits. However, it appears that when using the mini breakers you can only get 15 and 15 amp or 20 and 20 amp. With that being the case, can I put one of my general use outlet circuits wired with 12/2 on a 15 amp breaker? Or do I need to get to a bigger size panel?

Thanks,

Brad

Old 01-30-08, 08:04 PM
S
I know a local "home center" that sells 15/20 tandem breakers for Square D panels.

I'll let the experts weigh in, but depending on where the circuits are and your local codes, you may need arc fault breakers which take a full space.

Old 01-30-08, 11:46 PM
F
You can always use 12/2 on a 15 amp circuit.

Don't limit yourself to the big box stores, electric supply shops are wonderful things. You will find what you need there.

NB: I hope you're not trying to do any shared neutrals on these.