How to run 240 for garage question

Old 01-31-08, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to run 240 for garage question

Hi there, I want to run 240 to the garage. My main panel is at the other side of the house approx. 130' away (when figuring in corners and runs down walls) and instead of running a new line from there, can I extend the existing dryer or oven line, to a new sub panel in the garage which is easier and closer, and run a line back to the oven or dryer to from there, then I'd have a seperate breaker in that panel for the garage and seperate breaker for the oven or dryer? Would that be considered a dedicated line or do I have to go from the main to garage? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-08, 12:31 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Well, that would be a really unorthodox way of doing things and would severely limit the amount of power available at the garage.

It MAY be okay from a code standpoint but I would never consider doing it that way.

I will state that IF your garage is a separate building from your house that it is NOT code compliant.

Old 02-01-08, 12:31 AM
The most safest way to do is run new circuit to subfeed box for the garage because the code did change along the way.

some states allready adopted the 08 codes and you can not use 3 wire feeder anymore you have to use full 4 wire feeder which it will be Black , Red , White and bare or green wire.

the other reason why i mention to run new circuit because i do not know what is the condition of the exsting dryer or oven circuit and i rather leave them alone some are on old style connection aka 3 wire format and you CAN NOT extend the old 3 wire dryer , range , wall oven wires.

and how big the subfeed box you want to go ??

Most useally ask for 50-60 amp size which it is more than plenty unless you got a stick welder in the garage then it will change a bit there.

and with that distance [ you say 130' go with #4 romax if all inside no wet spot at all with 60 amp breaker if cant find #4 ask any Big box store other wise electrical supply centre they can cut to the length. if you feel that not right size let us know we can give you a correct size.]

and the other head up is if your state allready adopted the 08 .,, In the Garage everything i say everything have to be GFCI'ed that including GDO, lights ,, sorry if your frezzer is in the garage it have to be GFCI'ed as well per 08 code.

Merci, Marc

Old 02-01-08, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
Well, that would be a really unorthodox way of doing things and would severely limit the amount of power available at the garage.

It MAY be okay from a code standpoint but I would never consider doing it that way.
Furd.,, Just a quick reminder you can not extend the old 3 wire [ black , red , stranded bare wire] circuit at all that code was enforced way back either 1990 or 1993 code cycle

Merci, Marc

Old 02-01-08, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the advice, it's an attached garage with only two 8' fluorescent lights and door opener on a seperate circuit. I was bringing the 240 in for a belt grinder, small wire feed welder, plasma cutter, not to run all at once though. The house was built in '64, so it looks like I should just do it the right way. Thanks all!