Spent $488 on an Electrician...Why did he do this....???

Old 02-01-08, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spent $488 on an Electrician...Why did he do this....???

So, I hired a guy to swap out my old 3-wire cable for my new electric stove and to put in 4-wire cable. It cost me $488 dollars (ouch!).

I looked at the work and it all seemed fine; so I paid the guy and he left. Then, later that day, I noticed that he had disconnected a cable that was running in my garage. The cable is a 220v that ends with a 3-prong plug, it was completely exposed - and I have no idea what I'd use it for - but why would he disconnect that when I hired him to run a new cable for my stove in my Kitchen.

Again - I don't know why you'd want a 3-prong plug in your garage; but ummm, I had one, and now I don't.

Is that against code or something - or should I call him up and ask him what is going on?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-08, 09:13 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Call and ask for an explanation. Are you sure it wasn't already disconnected. One reason he may have disconnected it was it was piggy-backed on the stove circuit which it shouldn't have been. May have been there for a welder.

Old 02-01-08, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Call and ask for an explanation. Are you sure it wasn't already disconnected. One reason he may have disconnected it was it was piggy-backed on the stove circuit which it shouldn't have been. May have been there for a welder.
I'll call - I just feel silly because I signed off on the work without even noticing it

Old 02-01-08, 11:00 AM
Three prong in the garage would be for a welder, large air compressor, woodworking equipment, possibly an idiot planning on backfeeding the panel.

Did he re-use the cable, breaker, what? I'm comp-fused.

Old 02-01-08, 12:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I'd bet that the garage receptacle was double-lugged on the stove breaker which would have been an illegal installation made by a prior homeowner.