Garage workshop II

Old 02-01-08, 09:00 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage workshop II

First of all, pat yourselves on the back. With you guy's help I was able to successfully install a 220v outlet in my garage without burning my house down or blowing anything up.

Now, Id like to install a 110 circuit along my back wall. My garage only has 2 110 outlets now and Id like to add 3 more along the wall behind my workbench. Here are my questions.

1- Im assuming rather than adding outlets to the existing circuit, I should probably run a new circuit. There will possibly be more than one tool running at once, for instance an air compressor and skill saw but probably never more than two tools at once. Am I right to install a separate circuit?

2- The first outlet would be about 75 feet from panel and last outlet would be about 100 feet. What size wire should I use.

3- I think, in a garage, 110 has to be GFI. Correct? Does it matter which outlet?

4- What size breaker should I use at the panel?

Thats all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-08, 05:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
100 feet, how big is this shop? Are you running your receptacles from your breaker box in the house? It is always best to install a "b" box in the shop and branch from there, making smaller runs possible. I would run a new circuit for the remaining receptacles for your exact reasons. The receptacles should be on a 20 amp breaker, run with 12-2 wg NM-B cable, and protect the first receptacle with a GFCI, and take the remainder of the receptacles off the LOAD side of the GFCI to protect them downline. Let us know about the origin of the circuits so we can advise better.

Old 02-02-08, 05:50 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is just a small shop in my garage. The panel is on the opposite end of the house in my basement. The farthest outlet will probably actually be only about 75' away.

I never actually thought about installing another box. When I was inquiring about the 220 outlet, noone mentioned that. It may actually be worth it as you never know what youre going to have to add eventually. Probably at least another 220 outlet one day. What would that involve?

Old 02-02-08, 03:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Depending on how much demand you will have, we usually install 60 or 100 amp "b" or sub boxes in garages, which will allow for the expansion such as you suggest. It would require the appropriate breaker in your house panel, and the cable from that breaker to the box in your garage to a matching breaker. From there you would branch your circuits.