Bath GFCI Circuit Clarification

Old 02-03-08, 02:32 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bath GFCI Circuit Clarification

OK. I am just looking for a definitive response on a GFCI bathroom circuit question. The way I understand it, the bath GFCI(s) recep(s) circuit cannot be used for anything else. Is that correct? I would like to wire in a radiant floor heater to this circuit. Is that allowable under the NEC? The floor heater will draw 1.5 amps.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 02-03-08, 02:53 PM
B
I beleive they can share the circuit. But the heater would have to be on the line side of the GFI. So if the GFI trips the heater would still be energized. The heater may have to have it's own GFI and if it trips it will only de-enegize the heater.That I beleive is determined by how close the heater is to water.

Old 02-03-08, 05:48 PM
J
Received 308 Votes on 264 Posts
The bathroom receptacle must be a 20 amp circuit. Anything that is within the bathroom can also be on this circuit within reason as to not overload the circuit.

Old 02-03-08, 06:05 PM
M
Bathroom GFCI Circuit

So everyone would agree that I could tap into the bathroom GFCI circuit, so long as I roll with 20A on the breaker. The heater does have GFCI built in. Both the GFCI and the T-stat will be right next to each other, so if one pops, you won't have to go far to reset it.

Physically, I know I could use the circuit, I want to verify that the NEC will allow this practice.

Thanks again!

Old 02-04-08, 02:32 AM
The bathroom receptacle must be a 20 amp circuit. Anything that is within the bathroom can also be on this circuit within reason as to not overload the circuit.
Ive always been under the impression that receptacles in a bathroom must be isolated from everything else. ?

Provided the circuit is not overloaded, is it permissable to combine a combination of receptacles, lighting and /or ventilation , on a bathroom circuit?

Old 02-04-08, 11:44 AM
J
Received 308 Votes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Ive always been under the impression that receptacles in a bathroom must be isolated from everything else. ?

Provided the circuit is not overloaded, is it permissable to combine a combination of receptacles, lighting and /or ventilation , on a bathroom circuit?

Yes it is, provided EVEYTHING is within the bathroom.

The receptacle can also be extended to another bathroom provided ONLY bathroom receptacles are on the circuit. No fans, lights etc. premitted on the receptacle circuit in this case.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: