Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

meter -> Service panel1 -> service panel2, possible to discern Kwatts to sp2?

Old 02-04-08, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We have a house with two sections. The county only lets us have one meter which means one electric bill.

The front house has renters who leave the windows open in the middle of winter running up the electrical bill.

The meter runs to a service panel in my side of the house and a cable in the service panel on my side of the house runs to the service panel on their side of the house.

Is there any sort of device that can help me determine how much electricity (or the ratio of) is being used by each of the service panels so I can start charging appropriately?

TIA,

-MC

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-08, 08:31 AM
service panel2, possible to discern Kwatts to sp2?

There is probably a way, but you will have to address another situation.

You rented/leased to a party under an agreement that must have a section stating who is responsible for utilities.

Before you go to through the approvals for separate meter, the cost and the inspections, you may choose to establish a mutually agreed on monthly amount with this tenant now or when the lease expires. A month or two without any rental income is not cheap either since most rentals involve some vacancy during a transition.

Old 02-04-08, 08:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Is the renter's panel fed from a breaker in your panel or directly from the meter and the wires just pass through your panel?

This issue can get a little dicey from a legal standpoint, because renters do have some legal rights when it comes to landlord-metered utilities. The best solution is to have a separate meter installed from the power company so any billing disputes can be handled by them. If that option is truly unavailable, then we can explore installation of a sub-meter based on how the panel is currently installed. Before doing so, I would advise you to talk to a lawyer or someone in your state government who knows the rental laws regarding submeters.

Old 02-04-08, 09:25 AM
I can word an agreement and have everybody sign accordingly, that's no problem (in fact right now there is no agreement on paper).

My service panel has a 2 pole breaker (marked as "subpanel") that sends a feed to to their panel.

The county is not flexible on the "one meter per lot" rule.

thks,

-MC

Old 02-04-08, 11:15 AM
service panel2, possible to discern Kwatts to sp2?

Surprised you are not required to to be approved and under the requirements of the municipality for a rental. Operating without an angreement is very risky.

Usually. the billing for utilities can be controlled by the county/municipality and the power company (Potomac?).

If you can cover yourself and get a legally binding agreement signed now, that would at least keep your unit rented and avoid the possibility of you paying for wasted energy.

Look into the separate meter before you get a different tenant.

Dick