Receptacle too close to counter surface?

Old 02-04-08, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Receptacle too close to counter surface?

I need a 'peninsula' counter top receptacle on the short leg of my kitchen cabinet L. The wall behind is a partition which goes no higher than the counter top. I intend to build the partition up for a 42" bar top (pass through) on the living room side, and mount the receptacle in between the bar top and the counter top.

Accounting for flooring differences the receptacle will be only 1/4" above the 36" height of the finished countertop on the kitchen side. Is this a bad idea? I was going to put in a 4x4 j-box. Should I use a 2x4 j-box mounted on it's side? Or should I just build the bar up higher?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-08, 02:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Romy07 View Post
the receptacle will be only 1/4" above the 36" height of the finished countertop on the kitchen side. Is this a bad idea?
It's okay. Does the 1/4" account for the width of the faceplate also? Make sure to account for that.

I was going to put in a 4x4 j-box. Should I use a 2x4 j-box mounted on it's side?
That's okay too.

Old 02-04-08, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks I forgot to check the face plate too.

Old 02-04-08, 05:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Lesson learned... I would use a single gang box mounted horizontally for a small backsplash like you're talking about. Even if you measure it out perfectly, a small difference when the installing and leveling counter top can make it difficult to fit the receptacle and faceplate.