GFCI Breaker Question

Old 02-04-08, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI Breaker Question

Hello everyone.
I tried to install a 15 amp GFCI circuit breaker as required by the exhaust fan manufacturer in above shower/tub applications but the breaker kept tripping immediately. I am far from an electrical expert but not exactly a novice either. I have swapped out a few "regular" breakers in my day, no problem. With the GFCI I connected the hot to the brass screw, the neutral to the silver and the pigtail to the neutral bar, so I don't think it's a connection issue.

With that said, farther down the circuit past the new exhaust fan there is a gfci outlet I just installed a couple weeks ago. I believe I remember from an electrical class I went to about 15 years ago that a GFCI breaker with a GFCI outlet
on the circuit will sometimes cause problems. Could that be my issue? I put the original circuit breaker back in and everything was fine. Also, the shower has not been used yet, so water/steam would not be an issue yet. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-08, 06:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
GFCI's, whether they be breakers or receptacles in line with each other will cause problems, and shouldn't be used. Take out the GFCI receptacle out, and see if the breaker trips from that location with a circuit tester with a button on it. If so, leave it that way so the breaker protects the entire circuit.

Old 02-04-08, 08:31 PM
Although two GFCI protection devices in series can sometimes cause problems, it seems more likely that you just have a good old fashioned ground fault. These are sometimes intentional (due to uninformed wiring practices) and sometimes accidental (due to poor workmanship).

Old 02-05-08, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the input. I am going to try removing the gfci receptacle and see where that gets me. If that's not the issue I think it's time to call an electrician. The panel seems new but the wiring is old bx, which I hate working with because of old insulation etc.

Old 02-05-08, 11:38 AM
Updated GFCI Breaker Question.

Today I found an outlet upstream from the exhaust fan. If I were to replace the standard receptacle witha gfci receptacle, wouldn't that protect the fan?

Old 02-05-08, 12:53 PM
Yes............

Old 02-05-08, 01:25 PM
Thank you John. This is a great forum.