flexible conduit for service line?

Old 02-04-08, 08:44 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
flexible conduit for service line?

I'm an owner-builder and am getting ready to run a service line to a house I'm building. Rather than deal with schedule 40, which doesn't allow much flex, I'd like to get some of the flexible conduit that the electric companies use. I'm figuring this is a 2 inch line. What is this material called and where might I get it?
I prefer the flexible conduit because in the places where I might need turns, I'd rather have a gentle turn, than have to put in fittings with schedule 40 and have more drastic turns. Plus, the flexible conduit usually comes in long lengths, so it could be continuous, which would make it more water tight. It's to be buried.

Old 02-04-08, 05:16 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
HDPE

you might be able to get it at a local electrical supply house but it is not used very commonly by contractors and is more of a utility company thing

Old 02-04-08, 06:10 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HockeyFan
I'm an owner-builder and am getting ready to run a service line to a house I'm building. Rather than deal with schedule 40, which doesn't allow much flex, I'd like to get some of the flexible conduit that the electric companies use. I'm figuring this is a 2 inch line. What is this material called and where might I get it?
I would suggest you figure out about how much you need and contact an underground utility contractor and ask about getting a reel-end. Usually you can find these contractors by taking note of whose trucks are parked near holes in the streets.

If you get lucky and get an invitation to their warehouse yard, take along duct tape, gloves, a pullsaw, a wookie or pro football player, and a gift card for everybody who helps you along the way.

The last time I was at a yard they had dozens of reels sitting around with 100 feet on them, and piles of shorter lengths. Sometimes you have to know somebody, and if that's the case you'll have to call in a contractor.

Be advised this stuff is harder to handle in the cold, and the bigger the diameter, the more manhandling you will need to do. That's why you need the wookie.

Old 02-04-08, 07:37 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
aww come on amm. this is the easy life

If you get lucky and get an invitation to their warehouse yard, take along duct tape, gloves, a pullsaw, a wookie or pro football player, and a gift card for everybody who helps you along the way.
the wookie is a nice touch.

Old 02-04-08, 11:28 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nap
aww come on amm. this is the easy life

I thought in the easy life they just direct buried it. Or maybe that was the Simple Life. I forget.

Old 02-04-08, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the wookie is a nice touch.

at 8 feet, 600 lbs...If it were my yard, Id just give you the keys....You can have all you want if I can keep the "SECURITY GUARD"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: