Romex and Romex staples

Old 02-04-08, 07:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Romex and Romex staples

is it ok to place 2 pieces of Romex under 1 Staple such as when running two pieces down the inside of a wall stud? Or should they each be strapped seperately? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-08, 08:36 PM
Pretty vague question, but yes. In fact, you are required to do this on a 2 by 4 wall. The reason: To meet the clearance requirement of not less than 1 1/4" from the surface of the wall.

Old 02-04-08, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the help. Sorry I was so vague. Im just adding a couple outlets in the basement. Just wanted to make sure it was ok to have the feeder cable and the cable for the next outlet under one Romex clamp.

So would this same idea apply to strapping along floor joists where someone would have say 2 or 3 circuits running along a floor joist in the basement?

Old 02-04-08, 09:27 PM
Your first post said "staple" and your second post said "Romex clamp". These are two entirely different things, but the answer is usually yes for both.

Normally people don't string Romex along the bottom floor joists. There are special protection requirements (i.e., you usually need a running board), and putting them there usually makes it difficult to finish the ceiling later.

Old 02-04-08, 09:44 PM
man, Im really making this difficult. Im not going to strap any new Romex to the bottom of the floor joists. All existing and new Romex passes thru the center/or near center of the floor joists. I was just curious about when Romex is run parallel to the joist if two pieces of romex could again be put under one staple. Sorry about saying clamp in my other post. DOH!