wiring loops

Old 02-05-08, 12:03 PM
wiring loops

Sorry -- initially posted as a reply instead of "new".

There was a comment from (I think) racraft about wiring loops being "not good" -- can you (or anyone) elaborate? I'm re-doing the bathroom wiring (canada - 15 amp cct), and I took down a few walls so I have access to all the wiring in one room that used to be separate --I've added a few recessed cans, dimmers etc, and I've put the main feed thru a GFCI outlet on it's way to a multiple gang-box (used to be 3 now it's 5).

There is a 14/2 wire that leaves this 5-gang and goes to a hallway light box -- from that box leaves a cct to a bedroom, AND to another location unsourced. There is another 14/2 "power in" coming into this box, is this a loop? (house circa 1966)

thanks

sean

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-08, 12:23 PM
The term "wiring loop" has no standard definition, so it's difficult to comment on.

A second "power in" coming into a box is not bad by itself. It depends on how it is connected and you didn't supply any information about that. To fully understand what you've got, we'd need about a hundred more details.

Old 02-06-08, 06:26 AM
Where the heck is racraft?

I actually prefer power at the fixture.

Old 02-07-08, 09:53 AM
wiring loops

>To fully understand what you've got, we'd need about a hundred more details

point taken. further investigation indicated that the "power in" was not -- just a 14/3 to a 3 way switch - buried under a few bats of insul. thanks though.

sean
"staring at my rough-in and waiting for the drywaller"