Undercabinet light wiring, your suggestions

Old 02-05-08, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Undercabinet light wiring, your suggestions

I'm remodeling my kitchen and I want to add undercabinet lighting. I purchased cabinets with light rails, the extra wood extension to help hide lights. How do you suggest connecting from light to light and how to power them in the most inconspiculus way.

When I have the cabinets out I can remove drywall and drill studs to string the wire. How would you suggest bringing the wires out thru the wall to the light? How would you power them without seeing a plug hanging down?

Also, what is your favorite, LED, flourescent, halogen, xenon? I think that I would have to go with Xenon or halogen if I want to dim them.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-08, 07:12 PM
Just leave the NM sticking out at a height that will be in the light rail area. When you hang the cabinets, drill a hole in the light rail and run it into the fixture.

I prefer to run separate wires from the switch to each fixture location but you could loop from the fixture location closest to the switch to the next and so on.

Old 02-06-08, 10:08 PM
I am too lazy to look now, but somebody makes dimmable LED undercabinet lighting. I printed their cutsheet quite a while ago. This was architectural spec stuff so it would be quite expensive, I am sure.

Old 02-07-08, 12:14 PM
Just remind you make sure you dont hook up the undercabent light to small appalince circuit the code do not allow it.

you can hook up the undercabent light to the genral lighting circuit.

but there one thing you have to becarefull if you slect a low voltage lighting two thing it will crop up a bit if not carefull one.,, Low voltage is very senstive with voltage drop and second thing is transformer location [ depending how big it is ] can mount it above the upper cabent or put it in basement and you can not use the plain zip cord it must be romax wire and sized propely for voltage drop.

Merci, Marc