New Breaker Box for the Garage

Old 02-06-08, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Breaker Box for the Garage

I am not very familiar with wiring. I can change a switch, outlet, light fixture etc but that's it. The questions I am asking about the box I want to install pertain only what grunt work I can do. I have no intention of hooking any of this up. I'll go pro for that.

I want to extend some kind of cable from the main house box in the basement to the garage such that this cable would then be wired to a new circuit breaker type box. I want at least 2 220/240 V circuits in the garage as well as the capability to run a multi-outlet 110 cable for installing a few outlets at the work bench and some of the walls.
How do I tell what kind of amperage I have available to me? The house was built in 1984 and has 240V for a stove and clothes dryer.

What I want to do is buy the big cable, run it through the basement to the garage roughly near where i want the circuit breaker box. I would also like to do the rough wiring for the outlet in the garage including the 220/240 V things. I may be putting in a big compressor as well as a car lift. I am also thinking maybe it makes more sense to hardwire the compressor and lift to junction boxes or however it's done.

If there are any decent wiring books that could explain the basics to me, please let me know. I do not intend to open any circuit boxes, but want to make sure if I am running a heavy cable to the garage via the basement that I do it properly to code.
Thanks Much

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-08, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
To determine your service size look on the handle for the main breaker in your panel.

Before you go any farther you need to determine all the equipment and what the electrical requirements are. You should also have a load calculation performed to see if your existing service is big enough.

Old 02-06-08, 11:46 AM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
Understand from the beginning that there are many electricians that will NOT "just make the connections" in a job that was done by a homeowner. You need to find a electrician FIRST and then work out how much you can do.

As for a book...the "bible" for beginning to understand electrical work is a small book titled Wiring Simplified and it is available at the big box (home center) stores for about ten dollars. It is also available through all of the Internet book stores. This book has been in continuous print for at least fifty years and is updated regularly to reflect changes in the National Electrical Code.

You also need to know where your LOCAL electrical code differs from the national code if yo plan on doing the work yourself.

Old 02-07-08, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
An electrician that worked on the house a couple of years ago (sub'd by a contractor working on the house) quoted me 600 to do the job. He'd do the wiring to the garages and connect up the box and the 220/240 V things I want and will show me how to create new 110 GFI circuits. He basically told me the 110's I already have can be extended because of a light load. I won't be able to run all my 220/240 things at the same time but it's unlikely Ill be running the oven, clothes dryer, air compressor and the car-lift at the same time anyway. Buying the book tomorrow.