GFCI tripping

Old 02-06-08, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question GFCI tripping

I just replaced 2 2-outlet receptcles on a knob & tube circuit. I abandoned K&T wiring and brought new 12/2 w/G from another existing circuit (20 amp) to the same wall spaces for the recepticles. The first recepticle is GFCI 15amp and the second is regular 15amp downstream (end) of the GFCI.

A normal washing machine is plugged into the downstream second recepticle. When the washing machine gets to the "Spin" cycle of the wash it immediately trips the upstream GFCI. The Circuit isn't particulary busy and the only thing that is constantly on in the circuit is a refridgerator.

Any ideas as to what is causing the spin cycle to trip the GFCI?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-08, 10:04 PM
First an explanation....

Gfci "DOES NOT" detect overload.....So the circuit being "OVERLY BUSY" makes no difference. It measures the difference between hot and neutral currents, and tripps at a predetermined value. This Indicates "CURRENT LEAKAGE", such as exposure to water, or other "Ground Fault'.

GFCI May be "Required" in your locale , for Laundry circuits.

if this is an older machine there is likely too much leakage in the motor windings( Which was considered normal---Before GFCI was invented).
A "Better quality" Receptacle may cure your problem, if physical and visual checks of your wiring turn up empty.

Old 02-07-08, 07:19 AM
Your project violated several electrical codes. I suggest you read Wiring Simplified before doing this or any other electrical project to make sure you are following codes and doing it safely.

Old 02-07-08, 12:10 PM
oops....

I abandoned K&T wiring and brought new 12/2 w/G from another existing circuit (20 amp) to the same wall spaces for the recepticles.
Sorry i missed that.

you cannot extend off of K+T.......

"Side note"----would it be acceptable to run the 12/2 back to the main panel, leaving the remaining K+T intact?
Or is this an all or nothing proposition.?

Old 02-07-08, 01:59 PM
There is only 1 K&T circuit left in the house. All others were installed retrofit prior to my purchase of the house. These others are modern wiring (mostly 12/2 on 20amp circuits), including the circuit I extended to include the replacement receptacles.

The K&T wires to the receptacles were branches off the main circuit. I capped the wires in the same fashion as the other abandoned branches of K&T in the rest of the Attic space. It is my intention to entirely eliminate/replace the rest of the K&T circuit shortly.