New Clothes Dryer Circuit

Old 02-09-08, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Clothes Dryer Circuit

I'm getting different info depending on which wire gauge chart I look at... 50Amp 220v clothes dryer circuit, approx 30 foot run, should I use 6 gauge or 4 gauge wire? One chart shows 6 gauge good up to 45amps?
TY wingnut

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-08, 09:56 AM
If youre starting from "SCRATCH" ...

The cost difference between 4 and 6 at 30 feet is negligible.

For the few extra bucks, use the larger choice, and leave a "WINDOW" for later expansion.

There are more variables such as "Derating, voltage drop, termination temp, and the like , that will affect the outcome, so unless you want to do the math, Stick with the "Keep it simple" principal.

Old 02-09-08, 10:43 AM
Received 77 Votes on 71 Posts
50 amp clothes dryer? Is this an industrial machine? Home clothes dryers only ever use 30 amp circuits.

Old 02-09-08, 12:30 PM
here's my existing setup... 50A double pole breaker in the box, 6GA wire to my receptacle, but the receptacle is a 30A dryer receptacle.
We've relocated the dryer further away and need a longer wire for new location. Can I use a longer piece of 6GA or 4GA with the 30A recpt and the 50A breaker? Don't know why a 50 was used instead of a 30, but that's what I have. I don't see any safety issues since nothing drawing more than 30A can be plugged into the recpt.

And confirm that I do need to replace the entire run - no splices in a 220v line, correct?
wingnut

Old 02-09-08, 12:38 PM
Dump the 50 a breaker........Use what is required for the dryer.

Think about it for a minute.......

30 amp dryer will burn before the 50 amp breaker trips...

just a guess , but there was a range, or larger equipment originally using the existing outlet.

I'm not sure of the "SPLICE" issue, so wait for a pro.

However, if the breaker is downsized to 30 amps, 6 gauge would be more than adequate.

Old 02-09-08, 01:55 PM
Since you are extending the current circuit, you need to start from the panel, if the existing is not a 4 wire circuit. You can use #10 or #8, with a 30A breaker. A clothes dryer uses a 120/240V circuit, which nowadays must have separate ground/neutral, except in a grandfathered situation.