Only 70V Hot to Neutral

Old 02-09-08, 05:19 PM
Question Only 70V Hot to Neutral

The lights and plugs flickered and went out - then on their own they came back but then went out for good. On checking each receptacle I found the first bad one - At the one before everything seems ok (I changed it out anyway) with 110 between Hot and neutral and 110 between hot and ground - In the next receptacle in the circuit and in every one after it is hot to ground 110, hot to neutral 70V. It looks like a bad neutral somewhere, but why still 70V??

So... does the problem have to be between the good outlet and the bad outlet (in the wall?? - no work done) or can it be in a neutral connection further downstream? (3 phase testers say all plugs are wired correctly - one was hot / ground reverse till I changd it).

Should I just keep changing the remaining plugs (6)?

What about the lights?

With 2 good outlets before the bad one .. is the breaker in the clear.

Thank you all (please help before remaining strands of hair are pulled out!)... ciaran

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-08, 05:29 PM
Dump the digital meter...
it registers what is called 'phantom' or Ghost voltage....Which is caused by a bunch of factors that you probably have no interest in knowing. A two wire neon tester is your best friend here.

rule of thumb...the last one that works , or the first that doesnt, You will find your problem. This may be a receptacle, a loose wire nut, a burnt connection, .......In a receptacle box, a ceiling box......

Old 02-10-08, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by ciaranohare View Post
(3 phase testers say all plugs are wired correctly - one was hot / ground reverse till I changd it).

BACK THE TRUCK UP! A hot/ground reversal is very unlikely! It would be a major screw-up by anyone installing receptacles to connect the BARE GROUND to a side terminal.
BUT, on almost all of those little outlet checkers , an OPEN NEUTRAL will read as hot/ground reversed!