Circuit has power but outlets will not work

Old 02-09-08, 07:47 PM
Circuit has power but outlets will not work

I am pretty much at the end of my rope and will be calling an electrician on Monday...unless someone can help me that is.

A week ago I tripped the breaker in my circuit box while running some lights and a small heater in my garage. I reset it but it tripped again. This outet was a regular one but there are 2 GFIC upstream from this. They were also tripped the second time. Now fast forward to today and I'm trying to figure out what is going on. The 1st GFIC is in a powder room on first floor. It would not reset eventhough the line is hot. I checked it with a meter and its getting 125v on both line wires so I replaced the outlet with a new GFIC hoping this was it. No luck as the new one will not reset. The 2nd GFIC in another bathroom is only hot on the black wire. I assume this because the other is stopping the power from continuing on. Should I go though and cap off all known outlets on this circuit to isolate the problem or is there another way?

Thanks - mike

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-08, 09:41 PM
Real quick check......

GFCI's are shipped from the factory in "TRIPPED" position.

Sometimes "Fingers" are too large to get a solid PUSH. Try a small screwdriver, and PRESS FIRMLY.

are you sure the line and Load wires are correct?

I checked it with a meter and its getting 125v on both line wires
You do mean across the line wires??? Black and white?

Remove the LOAD wires from the first gfci and test again.

Old 02-09-08, 10:07 PM
electrical problem

Originally Posted by rexwagon View Post
I am pretty much at the end of my rope and will be calling an electrician on Monday...unless someone can help me that is.

A week ago I tripped the breaker in my circuit box while running some lights and a small heater in my garage. I reset it but it tripped again. This outet was a regular one but there are 2 GFIC upstream from this. They were also tripped the second time. Now fast forward to today and I'm trying to figure out what is going on. The 1st GFIC is in a powder room on first floor. It would not reset eventhough the line is hot. I checked it with a meter and its getting 125v on both line wires so I replaced the outlet with a new GFIC hoping this was it. No luck as the new one will not reset. The 2nd GFIC in another bathroom is only hot on the black wire. I assume this because the other is stopping the power from continuing on. Should I go though and cap off all known outlets on this circuit to isolate the problem or is there another way?

Thanks - mike

Hey mike try this

the 1st gfci undo the wires and check with a meter one lead on the black and the other lead on the white u should read 120v if the breaker is on. If you have more wires in the box keep checking till you have the pair that comes from the breaker panel. then take it from there

Old 02-10-08, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the replies. I rechecked my wiring like 5 times before I posted a thread so I know everything was done correctly. But after tossing and turning all night I knew there had to be another GFCI outlet somewhere or atleast another regular outlet that had gone bad. I thought for sure the outlet in my powder room was the first in the series as it is about 10 feet from the circuit breaker but i discovered this morning that a third GFCI outlet in another bathroom on the 2nd floor is the first in the series and it had gone bad. Go figure. I replaced that one and rechecked all my wiring and guess what, everything works.

Sorry for false alarm but reading lots of old thread sure did help me figure this one out. Thanks again - mike