switchs and lights

Old 02-12-08, 07:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
switchs and lights

I am installing 6 recessed cans in my basement. These cans will be installed on a 3-way switch so I can turn them on/off in two differnt locations.
I also want to put another seperate switch on the same circut which will control 2 seperate bar lights. So I'll have
2 3-way switches controlling 6 cans and 1 single pole controlling 1 bar light.
I know how to wire the 3-way switches and cans but I'm not sure how to run from the second 3-way switch into the single pole switch for the bar lights. Are there any wiring diagrams out there to see how this may be completed? I've seen quite a few but they only deal with 3-way switches and lights.

All wiring is 14.
I was also thinking about putting dimmers on the 3-way switches. Any concern about having 2 dimmers controlling the same lights?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-08, 07:37 AM
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
It depends on where the power comes in. If it comes into the first 3way then you can not wire the second switch off the second 3way unless you want the 3way to be a master control over the other switch.

Old 02-12-08, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
origionally it was coming into the second 3-way bu I can change it to come into the double box with the single and 3-way, then contine to the second 3-way. how would I "split" it when it enters the double box to go to the 3-way switch then the single switch?

Old 02-12-08, 10:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I find it easiest to draw a little picture for each 3-way circuit to help determine where the lines should go.

As joed stated, you need to feed the bar lights off constant (not switched) power. Based on the way you described it, constant power will only be available at the first (where the power comes in) switch. If you move the power to the double box with both switches, simply tie all the neutrals together, and split the hot to one pole of each switch.

I think if you draw a picture and view both of these lighting setups, and think of them as separate "circuits", it will make more sense.

Old 02-12-08, 11:30 AM
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
Take the hot black wire and attache two 6inch pigtail balck wires to it with awire nut. Connect one pigtail to each switch. Connect the black fromthe track light to the other terminal on the single pole switch. connect the white from the power to the white for the track light and the whtie for the 3 way circuit.
How you wire the 3 way depends on how the clabe go There are at least 8 different way wire 3 ways. Here are some diagrams.

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switc...3way/index.htm