new service


Old 02-15-08, 05:46 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: usa
Posts: 56
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new service

I have a customer who wants to go from two meter cans to one because the power company charges $20.00 a month delivery charge on the second can.At one time he had the house split up into a two unit but now its a one family.He has two 100 amp panels with main breakers.My question is should I put in a 200 amp panel with 2 100 amp breakers and refeed both panels or put in a 200 amp breaker and refeed the panels.Maybe a 200 amp panel and tear out the old panels and put everything in the new one?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-08, 08:42 AM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15,174
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
What size wires are currently feeding the meter cans? Are there 2 drops or one?

What about 2 tails off the 1 meter?
Old 02-16-08, 06:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 5,408
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
If the house may ever be converted back into a duplex, leave the 2 meter cans, blank one, and jumper it. Leave the two separate panels. This way, if he uses it as a duplex again, or sells it as a duplex, all that needs to be done is remove the jumper and replace the meter.

Granted - someone with the electrical experience could tell you exactly how to do this safely. I'm just looking at it from a practical standpoint.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: