What is the best toner/probe kit?

Old 02-17-08, 09:32 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question What is the best toner/probe kit?

Hi folks,

I live in a 100 year old house and the wiring here is exciting to say the least. I would like to get a tone/probe kit to help me find where things are run.

As you might expect, I'm looking for top quality at bottom prices I don't want to save a dime and wind up with a bad tool, but on the other hand I am am homeowner and I will be using this tool 5 times a year, not 5 times a day.

I particularly want to be able to use the toner to trace single conductors of 14 gauge wire through plaster/lathe and wallboard. (I also do want to be able to use it on bare ends of telephone and CAT5 networking wire as a secondary application).

I am seeing a lot of equipment out there, but none of it seems to be available locally so I will have to order. On the net I see everything from cheap kits, to individual toners that are "classics" to new fangled electronic controlled toners.

Should I buy a kit? If so, what are the recommended tried-and-true brands? Can anyone share their experience, good or bad, with particular tools?

Thanks,
Colin

Old 02-17-08, 09:47 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I use a telephone toner that I got at the big box home improvement store for alittle over 100.00

Just be absolutely sure that the circuts are off when testing electrical wires, as this mistake will cost you 100.00 per incident.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: