Grounding Question for House-for-Sale

Old 02-19-08, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grounding Question for House-for-Sale

I've read the "grounding" threads, but this question is slightly different.

I am preparing to sell a 1960s-built house. A home inspector has noted that none of the electrical outlets are grounded, although previous owners have replaced many 2-prong outlets with 3-prong outlets over the years.

I am not going to re-wire the electrical system in order to ground the outlets (Too expensive). So with my purpose being selling the house, should I: (1) Replace the 3-prong outlets with 2-prong outlets, or (3) Leave the 3-prong outlets and somehow diclose that they are not grounded. Under #1, it would be accurate outlets, but a buyer would likely have a lot of 3-prong appliances, etc. to plug in and would probably prefer those outlets. Under #2, the opposite is true.

From the perspective of a seller, what would you do? From the perspective of a buyer, which would you want?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-08, 09:14 AM
Received 115 Votes on 105 Posts
you have two options.
1. Replace them with two prong receptacles.
2. Replace them with GFCI receptacles and mark them "not grounded". You could replace the first one in the circuit and connect the others to the LOAD side.

Old 02-19-08, 10:07 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
While GFCI receptacle at the beginning of the circuit is cheapest route for adding GFCI protection to permit 3-prong receptacles in an ungrounded situation a simpler but more expensive solution is to use a GFCI breaker. Some boxes this could be as cheap as $35. You have to weigh that against time wise how easy it is to find the beginning of the circuit.

Old 02-19-08, 12:03 PM
This is just my opinion:

If I was selling, I wouldn't do anything. I'm not sure you have to disclose that receptacles are not grounded.......hopefully someone on here knows the answer to that one. If you do have to disclose it........so what. The buyer will probably have a home inspection done. The home inspector will tell the buyer the condition of the electrical in your home. The buyer can then ask you to:

1. Do nothing and pay what you're asking anyway because they want the house.
2. Do nothing but offer you less than you want.
3. Ask you to fix it to their satisfaction.

In other words, make the buyer dictate what will happen.

If I was buying your house, I would want you to leave the outlets as 3-prong so I could easily plug stuff in. I would know they were ungrounded from my inspection. I would also offer you less for your house because I would immediately have to look for a remedy for the ungrounded receptacles.

This is just what "I" would do.

Old 02-21-08, 04:01 AM
how can you go about grounding these outlets??????

Old 02-21-08, 07:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Providing a ground for ungrounded receptacles takes about the same amount of work as to completely rewire the house. A properly sized ground would need to be extended from the source of the circuit to the receptacle.

There may be an option if the house was wired with a metallic wiring method.

Old 02-21-08, 11:20 AM
Inspect the wiring at the Service Panel to determine the type of cables that extend from the panel. The cables will be either metallic , non-metallic , or both.

IF the cables are metallic ("armored" cable) , then I suggest you consult an electrician to advise you as to accepting the cable armor as an "approved" Equiptment Grounding Conductor.

If the cables are non-metallic, then you must detemine if the cables consist of two insulated conductors ONLY. This would explain why there is a "No Ground" condition at the Grounding-type receptacles.