Split-receptacle wiring issue

Old 02-19-08, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Split-receptacle wiring issue

I am replacing a damaged end of line receptacle in a bedroom and am having an issue. The previous receptacle was wired as follows: 2 whites plugged in back, 1 grounded wire attached, 1 red hooked onto top brass screw, 2 black wires capped together. I rewired exactly as found except for the two whites, which have been attached to silver screws - still nothing!. I am anxious to get this fixed as I currently have no lighting in 2 bedrooms and a bathroom due to this problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-08, 11:00 AM
Does the receptacle now work, and it's just the lights that are not working? Do BOTH of the sockets work on the receptacle?

What I'm thinking here is that you found a receptacle lying around the house and it had its tabs broken out, and now your downstream lights do not have a neutral.

Edit: Ah, just noticed the subject of the post. With only one hot wire connected to the receptacle, why are you calling this a "split receptacle"? Only one hot == not a split receptacle, and no tabs should have been broken out.

Old 02-19-08, 11:05 AM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
Does not sound like an end of line receptacle. If it was there would only be one white, and one black wire and possibly a red wire. Does not sound like the source of your problem. This receptacle is probably contolled by a switch. Find the switch and turn it on.

Please describe your no lights problem. When did this start? Were you doing some work and then they stopped? Did you check for GFCI recepatcles through out the house, since you mention a bathroom is involved. GFCI could be in the garage, outside, in another bathroom, in the basement.

Old 02-19-08, 11:56 AM
Additional info:
Arcing had been occuring at the receptacle and then it stopped working.

Both tabs were intact on the receptacle.

none of the sockets are currently working on the receptacle and neither are the lights.

Old 02-19-08, 01:07 PM
Did the other light stop working at the same time as the receptacle or after you changed the receptacle.
I still think it could be a GFCI tripped somewhere.

Old 02-19-08, 01:17 PM
Other lights stopped working at the same time as the receptacle - this includes ceiling fixtures in 2 bedrooms and in bathroom, plus 2 other receptacles.

Old 02-19-08, 05:35 PM
Look elsewhere for your problem. Did you check the breaker? Sometimes they don't look off when tripped. Turn it all the way to off then back on. Or else look for a tipped GFCI.