Help with two lights on one switch

Old 02-19-08, 05:10 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with two lights on one switch

I thought I had it all planned out properly but apparently I didn't. I'm installing two new lights in my basement off the existing circuit. So far what I've done is this:

1. Brought 14/2 from existing power into the junction box with switch (black-black, white-white, ground-ground)
2. Connected black to one terminal, white to other terminal of switch, and ground to ground screw.
3. Ran 14/2 from switch (black-black, white-white, ground-ground) to the first light
4. Connected first light (black-black, white-white, ground-ground) and connected ground to the ground screw
5. Ran 14/2 from first light to second light (b-b, w-w, g-g)
6. Connected second light (b-b, w-w, g-g) and connected ground to ground screw

Now upon turning the power back on, the first light came on with the switch in the off position. The second light did not come on. When I flipped the switch to the on position, the breaker tripped. Now, I don't think I have the circuit overloaded, but I will obviously I need to recalculate.

But, why is the switch backwards and why aren't the lights both on?

Does my wiring sound wrong or is did I simply make a mistake when performing the actual wiring?

Thanks

Old 02-19-08, 05:18 PM
Oh boy! Your wiring is wrong at the switch. It should be white to white, one black to one terminal of the switch, other black to other terminal of the switch.

I'm not sure why the second light didn't come on when you first restored power. You may have a secondary issue as well. But get that switched short circuit cleared up first.

Old 02-19-08, 05:20 PM
W
Ah, I see. That makes sense now.

Does that explain what I was seeing?

Old 02-19-08, 05:30 PM
Yes, it explains why the first light was initially on, and it also explains why you tripped the breaker when the switch was turned on. However it does not explain why the second light didn't come on at the same time as the first.

Old 02-19-08, 05:34 PM
W
I just rewired the switch the correct way (white pass through, one black to each terminal, grounds together and on ground screw) and the first light worked correctly with the switch. However, my wiring must be wrong between the two lights because the second light still didn't come on. Oh well, I'll work on tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick reply. That's why I love this forum.

Old 02-19-08, 08:04 PM
Yes, there must be something wired wrong between the two fixtures. In the first light there should be 3 black twisted together. (One from switch, one to fixture, and one to second fixture) Three white. (Same setup) Three ground. (Same setup) I'm sure I'm just telling you what you already know. I like to try to help. Anyway just double check all of your connections between both lights. (maybe before you do all that...Check the bulb...just kidding )

Old 02-20-08, 01:16 AM
Funny thing is, it just may be the bulb, as zach joked.

Your wiring the way you described it between the two lights is correct. And it's pretty tough to have an iffy connection when the wires are visually stuffed securely inside a wirenut.

I'm sure it'll turn out to be something very simple when you find it.

Old 02-23-08, 03:36 PM
W
I got this straightened out today. Turns out I had the completely wrong wire fished into the junction box for the second light. I had two wires hanging down from the ceiling (one from another project) and somehow pulled the wrong one into the box. I swapped them today and everything worked as expected.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: