rewire circuit

Old 02-20-08, 03:26 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rewire circuit

I plan on rewiring my bedrooms that have the old armored 2 wire from 1952 the when you expose the wire the protective, cloth and rubber falls apart. I basically am just gonna start from the panel box and follow to each receptacle since the holes are all there. My question though is that if I do this do I have to have this all complete or can I do it step by step. Basically it is gonna take a while to do the 3 bedrooms so I wanted to start at the box and do as much as I can and and if I get to one receptacle that I want to stop for the mean time I would just use a metal box obvioulsy to bond the old armored cable that continues on to the rest of the circuit till I get to it. Is it acceptable to do this and have new wire running from the the box mixed with old wire that continues on till I get to replace it? I plan on doing it like over a week so it is not gonna have old wire mixed in for a long time. Thanks and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-21-08, 06:17 AM
I would think that would be ok. It is not any different than adding a new outlet at the end of an old cable run. You would use new wire for that. Just make sure that it is the correct size wire. Someone else please confirm if I am correct or not.

Old 02-21-08, 09:21 AM
B
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I know about adding at the end of the line and bonding the ground to the metal box but I wanted to make sure that it was ok to reverse the method. I would assume it was ok because I would assume an electrictian would do the same thing and obvioulsy not be able to get all done in a day.

Old 02-21-08, 10:14 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
You're not supposed to extend old ungrounded circuits, but that's not what you're looking to do. One of the pros would give better advice as to whether your old MC wire is appropriately grounded or not.

Regardless, what you have planned sounds good. You can certainly replace the first few receptacles with new wire/receptacles and then connect to the remaining old circuit.

Use this time though to consider adding additional receptacles and/or circuits. Just because they were placed that way 65 years go doesn't mean you don't want to relocate some, add others, and maybe split out circuits.

Also consider that many people would consider this a renovation and that you may require a permit to do this work. The final decision of course is up to you, but you should at least think about it. Also, find out if AFCIs are required for new bedroom wiring in your locale.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: