What Kind of Dimmer?

Old 02-23-08, 07:05 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What Kind of Dimmer?

Hi. I want to install a dimmer for my ceiling light. I've done this once before, so I'm not entirely clueless, but almost. I'm pretty sure I need a three-way dimmer, because there are two switches for this light in the room. However, when I opened up the box I found a switch that had insulated four wires--two black, two red, and a bare ground wire.

The three-way dimmer I bought only has three screws, not including the ground screw.

So I'm confused.

I appreciate your help.

--dd

Old 02-23-08, 07:09 PM
J
Received 295 Votes on 254 Posts
Sounds like the room has three switches controlling the light. That is a four way switch. You can't put the dimmer at that location. Dimmer needs to go at one of the three way locations.

Old 02-23-08, 07:31 PM
D
Hm. But there's no third switch in the room.

There are two lights in the room, a ceiling pendant and a recessed light. There are four switches, a single near one door and a cluster of three at another door.

The single switch works the ceiling pendant (where I want the dimmer).

In the cluster of three, one works the pendant, another the recessed, and the third works nothing. This non-working switch is the case in several other rooms of the house, and I wonder if the previous owner ran another line for ceiling fans that were never installed (common down here in Savannah, GA).

Does that sound right? And, if so, should I be able to install a dimmer on the other switch for the pendant?

Old 02-24-08, 08:09 AM
J
Were two of the wires connected to the same screw? If they were then it could be a three way.
Note which wires are connected to the common screw. it will be the black one. Those wires get connected to the commonn of the dimmer. The other two don't matter. The ground connects to the green.

Old 02-24-08, 09:02 AM
D
No, there are four screws with insulted cable running to them, a fifth for the ground.

Old 02-24-08, 11:54 AM
J
Four way swtich then.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: