electric shock while in the shower

Old 02-27-08, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electric shock while in the shower

This is something new in our older built home but when we take a shower and the dryer is turned on we get shocked. What can I do to remedy the situation? My thought is that some wiring is somehow touching the piping somewhere but I HAVE NO REAL CLUE and need some advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-08, 12:05 PM
Nothing to play with.......CALL AN ELECTRICIAN NOW.......

This could be a ground issue in your home, or any other home that shares your transformer...and it needs to be rectified IMMEDIATELY.

Old 02-27-08, 12:09 PM
Wink

Id say call a tech and have them check it out. It can be anything there. One time found a very small short in a motor but everything ran ok. But if it was on it would sure give you a shock to ground if in the shower. Dryer ground wire on it ok????

Old 02-27-08, 12:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Where is your shower located?

Where is your dryer located?

Where is your electrical panel box located?

What is shower and handles and drain made of?

Where are you getting the shock?: When turning metal knobs and standing in wet shower?

Is the dryer an older 3-prong plug in dryer?

Do you have metal water pipes in the house?

Do you see any bare copper grounding wire clamped on the cold pipe anywhere, especially in the area of the water meter? Or see one dangling where one used to be clamped? And if it does, is it clamped on the street side of the meter or have a jumper wire clamped across both sides of the meter?

If the stove is run, can that casue it also, or is it just the dryer? (Do not experiment with your body, on account of my question! This could even be run by an electrician to look into. You might be able to take a voltmeter and set it to ohms and see what your reading is between a stove screw (painted metal may not give proper reading) and say nearby plumbing like the kitchen sink? And this test coud be done with the dryer also.

Has ANY work of any sort been done in your house?

Have you done any voltmeter testing yourself or tried to tighten any wire (mainly neutral and ground) connections anywhere?

Old 02-27-08, 03:05 PM
Well in the words of my good friend Racraft...Call an electrician....dont wait a second...CALL THEM NOW.

Old 02-27-08, 04:32 PM
thanks

thanks for the advice i will call the experts. There is a wall between the dryer and the shower but i will let the experts look at it.

Old 02-27-08, 04:42 PM
The suggestion of calling a pro, was in no way meant to mean you arent capable . Its just a safety thing involving 240 volts and water......In the process of "Checking " , you can concievably make matters worse. Just for safety sake ,leave it to the pros.

Also be aware that it may not be your Home, but a neighboring home or unit, that has the problem. Not likely , but it is possible.

Stay safe...even if it means being dirty in wet clothes....

Old 02-27-08, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by jbooth76 View Post
This is something new in our older built home but when we take a shower and the dryer is turned on we get shocked. What can I do to remedy the situation? My thought is that some wiring is somehow touching the piping somewhere but I HAVE NO REAL CLUE and need some advice.
call local electrician.... just for heads up that will drive electricians crazy in this situation. could be sedement in bottom of tank

Old 02-27-08, 08:42 PM
When I first read this I assumed hair dryer, why would some one take a shower with a hair dryer.

I will assume clothes dryer.
If your dryer is sending power into the plumbing. Your dryer may have a problem.
Now that also leads me to believe your plumbing ALSO has a problem. Improper grounding and/or a portion of the plumbing has insulators installed separating its grounding.

Start with an electrician.

Old 02-28-08, 07:31 AM
Received 113 Votes on 103 Posts
The most common cause of this is a faulty element in the electric hot water tank.

Old 02-28-08, 03:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What the curiousity factor is, though, is the fact he has it do this only when the dryer is run. Not all the time. And now that he said the dryer is back to back with the shower, that makes things more interesting.

Old 02-28-08, 04:07 PM
?Gods argument for PVC piping???............

Old 02-28-08, 04:08 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
What the curiousity factor is, though, is the fact he has it do this only when the dryer is run. Not all the time. And now that he said the dryer is back to back with the shower, that makes things more interesting.
The dryer probably isn't old enough to qualify but once upon a time washers I know for sure and I'd guess maybe dryers too were grounded to the water line with a grounding wire. That though is on appliances made before grounded receptacles were common and probably doesn't apply.

What if a gas dryer and a gas water heater? A fault in the dryer through metal gas pipe to the water heater.

Old 02-28-08, 04:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
PVC pipe (or rather the mixture of copper and PVC) could be contributing to the problem. A section of copper may have been replaced with PVC thereby breaking the conductive path to ground and to the main bonding wire leaving the possibility of an ungrounded and energized section of copper pipe. The break in continuity can be caused by seemingly innocuous devices like water filtration and softening systems.

The complication of the dryer really leads me down the path of an open or high-impedance connection to the service neutral.

Old 02-28-08, 04:38 PM
I am more leaning to poor netual connection and incorrect bonding on the dryer as well.

majorty of the electric dryers used the 120 volt motor to turn the drum and the fan [ both gas and electric dryer use the same motor to keep the manufactering cost down.]

and if the netual get floated or not bonded right it will result a shock anywhere on that dryer circuit have bad connection along the two place either the dryer repectale or breaker box location.

then again i really agree with others just one word Get the electrician they can able troubleshooting it.

Merci, Marc

Old 02-29-08, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post

and if the netual get floated or not bonded right it will result a shock anywhere on that dryer circuit have bad connection along the two place either the dryer repectale or breaker box location.

sometime the main electrical ground is connected to the water outlet, who is supposed to go outside in the ground.

now suppose a part of this outlet as been replaced with abs... there is no more ground. if the dryer leak to the ground the metal pipe are gonna be electrified.

the thing to do is have you dryer wall outlet checked for loose wire and your dryer checked for leak to the ground or any related probem.

have your main ground rewired to an independant exterior cup rod. with 6 feet under the ground.

Last edited by simn_20; 02-29-08 at 10:10 AM. Reason: wrond information
Old 02-29-08, 02:07 PM
YES, I am leaning towards there being a loose wire somewhere touching a pipe or something that leads to the shower. I DID call an electricain and we are on a waiting list so hopefully SOON we can get one to our house to look at it.

Old 03-02-08, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by jbooth76 View Post
YES, I am leaning towards there being a loose wire somewhere touching a pipe or something that leads to the shower. I DID call an electricain and we are on a waiting list so hopefully SOON we can get one to our house to look at it.
Wow, they told you to wait after hearing your problem? I would call a different electrician. I'd consider your problem a potentially dangerous one, and one that should be fixed ASAP - certainly before you use the dryer again.

There is probably no shortage of electricians in your area who would jump at the chance to handle a situation like this that is fairly likely to be easy to diagnose. Call another one.