Replace baseboard heater with receptacle?

Old 03-02-08, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace baseboard heater with receptacle?

Figured it out, all I've got to do is switch the wire at the panel............................

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-08, 09:44 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The GFCI will not provide the same amount of heat as the baseboard heater.

I suppose you are removing the heater, right? You simply want to put a recep there instead, right?

Make sure there is nothing else on this circuit. NOTHING else.

If there is a t-stat, be sure it is permanently bypassed.

So, now you have three wires there, right?

If one is not white, you need to identify a wire and mark it with white tape or some other means. That will need to be removed from the breaker and placed on the neutral bar in your panel. While there is nothing illegal (that I can think of) to simply using one leg of the breaker, I would still suggest replacing this breaker with a single pole breaker (personal preference). Make sure the panel schedule reflects the change.

Hey, what happened to your question?

Old 03-02-08, 12:39 PM
I don't have a code citation but in most places a colored (aka ungrounded or HOT) wire cannot be re-identified with tape if smaller than 8 AWG or something like that. You have to have a white or grey wire in place.

Old 03-02-08, 03:56 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
code allows it in certain situations. While this may not be a textbook fit with it, 200.6(E) exc 1 allows it.

As well, if this is a multiwire cable and there is only 2 insulated conductors, one of them shoudl be white already.

I do not see an inspector bugging out because a wire was re-identified as a neut on an existing cable.

Old 03-02-08, 04:08 PM
a colored (aka ungrounded or HOT) wire cannot be re-identified with tape if smaller than 8 AWG or something like that.
It is actually 6 and smaller that may not be reidentified..

I dont see an issue either....It is done all the time with 14/2 that is used as a switch loop, although these are remarked as hot and not neutral. Be thankful if this is all the inspector can find to gripe about.. Just make sure it is BLATANTLY OBVIOUS..

Old 03-02-08, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
code allows it in certain situations. While this may not be a textbook fit with it, 200.6(E) exc 1 allows it.

As well, if this is a multiwire cable and there is only 2 insulated conductors, one of them shoudl be white already.

I do not see an inspector bugging out because a wire was re-identified as a neut on an existing cable.
All good points. I deal mostly with wiring in raceway, so I admit ignorance about cables. And with the exception you cited, there would be no reason I can see for an inspector to question it.