strange acting circuit?

Old 03-05-08, 08:09 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
strange acting circuit?

something strange is happing. last night i tried to run the dishwasher suddenly thee was a small pop and the dishwasher stopped working. i checked the breakers and none were tripped or felt hot. i decided to wait till this morning to try and trouble shoot, in the mean time i was running the microwave and toaster and suddenly the dishwasher started. after the microwave and toaster stopped the dishwasher continued for a while and stopped. i started the microwave and toaster again and the dishwasher started but continued to finish after the microwave and toaster stopped. i forgot to mention that the exhaust fan lights above the stove also went out and back on whith the same scenerior as the dishwasher. i tried the scennerio this morning. starting the dishwasher (no pop this time)it did not start at all. after starting the toaster and microwave the dishwasher ran for a short time and then quit and did not star again. i check all breakers after each of this occassions and found nothing wrong. any advice?

Old 03-05-08, 08:20 AM
This sounds to me like a loose neutral , feeding thru the other appliances.

Also Test and Reset all kitchen GFCI outlets. A defective one may cause this also.
Hmmmm....
Do the exhaust lights seem extremely Bright when they do work?...You may have a failed neutral on a Multi wire circuit.

Old 03-05-08, 08:27 AM
J
Received 307 Votes on 263 Posts
You have a loose connection somewhere on the dishwasher circuit. It could be in any box on the circuit including the panel. I could the hot or the neutral.

Old 03-05-08, 08:39 AM
L
how do i check your suggestion?

Old 03-05-08, 01:47 PM
P
Un-fasten from the outlet-box the receptacle that the toaster cord plugs into , and note the number of wires in the outlet-box , the colors of the wires, and how they are connected.

IF--IF-- there is a Red wire connected to a Black wire inside the outler-box, it MAY be the DW circuit.

If there are 3 White wires connected together, with a "tail" to the receptacle, this connection MAY be defective.

You will provide this info for "clues" as to how the circuits are wired.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: