plugging into duplex receptacle

Old 03-06-08, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
plugging into duplex receptacle

How is everyone doing?

I posted this question in the pluming section and got no response from anyone. I want to add a battery back up sump pump in my sump pit. The question I have is, can I plug the battery to be charged in the other side of the duplex receptacle that the primary sump pump is plugged into, or do I need a separate circuit? Any info. would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-08, 03:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 27 Posts
What else is on the circuit? How much does the battery backup draw?

Old 03-06-08, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your question is a valid one. Most people plug both primary sump pump and charger into the same receptacle. (circuit) If there is an outage then neither the charger or primary pump have power, which is the reason for the backup pump in the first place. There is one "what if" here. If the primary pump goes to ground or otherwise fails and trips the breaker under normal power, then your charger goes down with it. So, simply be sure you check your system often, or run a separate circuit. Some backups sound an alarm when the ac power is lost or the pump runs. You must be home to hear it though. Also there are usually indicator lights to tell what "mode" the charger is in. Red lights, green lights, etc. I dont think there is a standard here but if you have an entire finished basement at risk, feel free to run another circuit. At least you would have a pump until you discover your primary has gone bad! I seldom see two circuits used here in my experiance. Be advised that a single dedicated receptacle is normally required here for each point of use. This is probably an unfinished area?