Replace existing receptacle w/ 1 reg/1GFCI

Old 03-07-08, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace existing receptacle w/ 1 reg/1GFCI

My home is ~30yrs old. Some of the receptacles have become loose, and I have replaced most of them. I seemed to have missed the one behind my TV.

I would like to replace that old 3-prong receptacle, with 2 sets of outlets, 1 3-prong, 1 GFCI. I will have my TV/Entertainment system plugged into the 3-prong, and my fish tank into the GFCI. If the GFCI trips, I do not want it to shut off my TV.

What exactly is the best method to doing this, and any diagrams would be helpful (I am visually inclined). Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-08, 11:25 AM
Wire the Non-GFI outlet inline before the GFI. Hope this helps!

Old 03-07-08, 11:37 AM
So wire directly to the 3-prong, then bridge over to the GFCI?

Old 03-07-08, 12:19 PM
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
First you need to replace the junction box with a double one so both receptacles will fit.
Then extend the black, white and ground wires to the new GFCI LINE connecitons.

Old 03-07-08, 12:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Only use the LINE terminals on the GFCI receptacle and it will not protect any outlets other than itself. Nothing should be connected to the LOAD terminals.

Old 03-07-08, 02:29 PM
And make sure you have the box deep enough some of the GFCI take a bit of room as well.

if you going have a GFCI repectale and non GFCI repectale each side make sure you marked the non GFCI repectale as " NO GFCI PROT." that way in case someone else try to figure out why one side have GFCI and other not.

Merci, Marc

Old 03-07-08, 02:45 PM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
sooo, the fish die from lack of Ox

while you continue to watch TV? Must be more to this? Maybe the VCR clock is hard to reset?

Old 03-07-08, 02:56 PM
There are portable GFCI devices that you can plug in, then plug your aquarium into. Look for them near the extension cords at your local big box home center.

Based on the age of your house, I wonder if you have aluminum wiring. If so, you may want to have it evaluated by a professional; or at the very least, buy aluminum rated devices.

Old 03-10-08, 07:41 AM
So the plot thickens. What a mess. I exchanged 2 receptacles for (3 prong for 3 prong) without issue. The problem came when I attempted to replace the 3 prong behind my TV with the GFCI.

1st of all - thank you to all my former homeowners, who mislabeled all my breakers.

After being shocked the third time, I shut down 3/4 of my home at the breakers. But I am, if nothing else, stubborn. So I replaced the outlet. Immediately my home started going haywire. All the breakers would be on, but the overhead light in my kitchen would not work. Then it would, but if I turned my recessed lighting above the sink on at the same time, both would only light to ~1/2 power. Fantastic.

As well, the wiring in the outlet box was screwy too. There were 3 cables in the box. 1 is the line, the others daisychain to other outlets. The line cable has 4 wires (1 black, 1 white, 1 ground, 1 red). I have no idea what the red wire is. The other 2 wires are 3 wire romex (black, white, ground). Wire 1 (line) has the red wire spliced into wire 2's hot. So, I have available: 2 hots (wire 1, wire 3), 3 neutrals, and 3 grounds. The grounds have been spliced together, so there is really only 1 to deal with.

I pig tailed the neutrals from wire 2 & 3. So now I have 1 hot, 1 neutral (from wire 1), and 1 hot (wire 3) & 1 neutral from pigtail. I left the wire 2 hot/wire 1 red pigtail since I have no idea what the point is there.

Long story short ( ), I replaced the GFCI with a normal 3 prong outlet, and all the electrical sorcery went away. Lights work normal, all the outlets are active, etc.

So, can anyone tell me what the heck the red wire is?

Oh, and in the process we also (coincidental timing?) fried our microwave, so had to go get another of those. Fun. TIA.

Old 03-10-08, 08:03 AM
You either have a multiwire branch circuit or a switch that controls part of the circuit. If it took two breakers to turn off the black and the red then you have a multiwire branch circuit. Two hot wires share one neutral wire.

All the white neutrals should be connected together.

Old 03-10-08, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by joed View Post
You either have a multiwire branch circuit or a switch that controls part of the circuit. If it took two breakers to turn off the black and the red then you have a multiwire branch circuit. Two hot wires share one neutral wire.

All the white neutrals should be connected together.
No, I don't specifically think that it took 2 breakers to turn the power off to that area. I just don't think that I was turning off the right breaker to that area. In the end, I had to turn 5 breakers off to kill the power.

As for the neutrals being connected...in the case of a 3 prong, I can see that. But that doesn't work for a GFCI does it?

BTW, thank you everyone for the responses so far.

Old 03-10-08, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by telecom guy View Post
while you continue to watch TV? Must be more to this? Maybe the VCR clock is hard to reset?
Ha ha - what's a VCR? JK! Anyway, I like to keep problems isolated. Should the tank have a problem, it wouldn't necessarily shut off other electronics.

Old 03-10-08, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by MSU Fan View Post
As for the neutrals being connected...in the case of a 3 prong, I can see that. But that doesn't work for a GFCI does it?
It does if you only connect to the LINE side of the GFCI.
If you can measure the voltage between the black and the red wires.

Old 03-10-08, 11:37 AM
I don't have any way of measuring the difference between the red and black wires.