switch wiring to light

Old 03-08-08, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
switch wiring to light

Hello:

I am wiring a basement switch to a flourescent light and would like to know if the method I am using is correct. First I brought power from the work box (J-Box?) using 14-2 NM wire to the switch thru EMT Conduit, then I wired the switch as follows: I spliced the neutrals, (wire nuts used on all splices) placed a black hot onto one switch screw terminal and the other hot onto the other terminal. Then I spliced the three grounds together (including the switch to the metal switch box, bare ground) and taped around the switch covering of all the terminals then back to the Work Box thru flexible metal cable (BX?) and wired the neutrals, the hots and the grounds which I used one pigtailed insulated ground wire to the work box. I have seen diagrams that showed different methods of wiring and I wanted to use the safest method so I chose this method. Is this an acceptable and safe method or is there something better? THANK YOU for your time and knowledge.
p.s. I want to eventually wire from this light to another light in series. Does that sound ok?

Last edited by djyalways; 03-08-08 at 08:58 AM. Reason: EMT thin wall instead of ENT. Also, I added another ?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-08, 09:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Your method is correct with the exception of running NM in conduit. You said you hooked one "hot" to the switch and the other "hot" to it. You really hooked one hot (line) and one load, since only one wire in the box is hot inbound. If you want to hook up an additional light you will do it in parallel, not in series. White to white, black to black and grounding wire to grounding wire.

Old 03-08-08, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switch to light-part 2

Larry:

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the 'hot' terminology. Yes, one hot and the other load. And, I understand the parallel series on the light. Thanks for the corrections. But I have a question on the NM inside the conduit. Our local code requires that outlets in basements(unfinished) requires the NM inside of conduit. I thought that the light switch would also be required. Is this not permitted? Please explain and offer alternatives. Thank you so much.

Old 03-08-08, 04:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I didn't mean to indicate it was incorrect, just a PITA to do. Not sure of your local codes, but generally when conduit is required, THHN is run, but you are correct in maintaining the inspector happy. Good luck with the project!