Code Question

Old 03-09-08, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Code Question

I would like to know what article in the NEC refers to SE cable passing from the exterior to the interior of a dwelling.Seems I read that a means of disconnect has to be within 6 feet

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-08, 10:15 PM
The service disconnect must be 'nearest the point of entry' with no clearly defined definition of 'nearest'. Various localities have different interpretations, and some enact an exact limiting distance.

Given that these are 'unfused' conductors, I would advise against trying to make this length any longer than the minimum necessary. You might consider putting the main disconnect _outside_ at the meter. Then you have no issues with the length of the conductor inside the house.

-Jon

Old 03-09-08, 11:49 PM
Most state and local codes may trumped over the NEC related to the SE conductor going in the resdentail building.

each area are sliglty diffrent and the location will make the diffrence like example in southwest USA it common to see the all in one box located outdoor southeast is simuiar to the Southwest but for northen area it is a mixed bag depending on what building design and the local codes and also POCO regulations [ they are getting picky with meter locations.]

here in my state it will only allowed max of 2 metre before it required a disconnection outdoor.

Merci, Marc