Code Question


Old 03-09-08, 08:39 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: usa
Posts: 56
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Code Question

I would like to know what article in the NEC refers to SE cable passing from the exterior to the interior of a dwelling.Seems I read that a means of disconnect has to be within 6 feet
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-08, 10:15 PM
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,219
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The service disconnect must be 'nearest the point of entry' with no clearly defined definition of 'nearest'. Various localities have different interpretations, and some enact an exact limiting distance.

Given that these are 'unfused' conductors, I would advise against trying to make this length any longer than the minimum necessary. You might consider putting the main disconnect _outside_ at the meter. Then you have no issues with the length of the conductor inside the house.

Old 03-09-08, 11:49 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NE Wis / Paris France{ In France for now }
Posts: 4,808
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most state and local codes may trumped over the NEC related to the SE conductor going in the resdentail building.

each area are sliglty diffrent and the location will make the diffrence like example in southwest USA it common to see the all in one box located outdoor southeast is simuiar to the Southwest but for northen area it is a mixed bag depending on what building design and the local codes and also POCO regulations [ they are getting picky with meter locations.]

here in my state it will only allowed max of 2 metre before it required a disconnection outdoor.

Merci, Marc

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: