how do i wire duplex switches?

Old 03-10-08, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face how do i wire duplex switches?

i have two new lights we installed in the shed. i have one of those duplex switches but the instructions are missing.
each light has a black, white, and copper coming from them
also have a black, white and copper wire connected to the breaker.
the switch have two common posts, a green ground screw, and post a1 and b1 to work the lights.
how do i do this? was trying to find a diagram that would show where the wires go.
its a new construction.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-08, 07:39 AM
someone told me to connect all three white wires together and cap them off. take the two black wires from the fixture and put one on a1 and one on b1. connect all copper wires together and run a pigtail from it to the green screw. then take the black wire that comes from the breaker and put it on one of the common screws. there is a tab that connects the common screws so i wouldn't need to pigtail it to the other screw. unless i remove the tab then i need to pigtail it to the other common screw. is this right? i don't want to hook it up and have things go haywire

Old 03-10-08, 08:07 AM
Received 127 Votes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by thelmadupree View Post
someone told me to connect all three white wires together and cap them off. take the two black wires from the fixture and put one on a1 and one on b1. connect all copper wires together and run a pigtail from it to the green screw. then take the black wire that comes from the breaker and put it on one of the common screws. there is a tab that connects the common screws so i wouldn't need to pigtail it to the other screw. unless i remove the tab then i need to pigtail it to the other common screw. is this right? i don't want to hook it up and have things go haywire
This is correct.

Old 03-10-08, 11:45 AM
thank you so much. i told my husband that is how it is supposed to be and he told me no. he said the white wires had to be connected to something.. i told him they will be... each other...