portable heater keeps tripping breaker

Old 03-10-08, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
portable heater keeps tripping breaker

i use a portable heater in my home and it seems there is only 1 place i can plug the heater in without tripping a breaker. is there anything i can do to fix this? all the breakers seem to be 15 amp. thanks.

Last edited by danny7481; 03-10-08 at 09:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-08, 09:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The best solution is to upgrade the built-in heating system so that portable heaters are not necessary. They are not ideal nor intended for long-term use. You could add an electric baseboard heater or install a duct or air return to improve the function of the central heating.

Next best is for you (or an electrician) to install a dedicated circuit for the heater.

Finally, you can buy a less powerful heater; perhaps a heater with a low (~500W) setting would not overload your circuit.

A 15A circuit can supply at most 1875W under ideal conditions. Most small heaters are about 1500W which leaves very little room for anything else on the circuit. Just a lamp or two and a TV would be enough to trip the circuit.

Old 03-10-08, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply, i had no idea heaters used so much electricity. yes upgrading the central heat is on my todo list. this is just a temporary thing. thanks.