40 or 50 amp range plug-in

Old 03-10-08, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
40 or 50 amp range plug-in

Hello all-

I am still in the process of wiring my kitchen for the remodel, I had ran a new 8-3 romex wire for the stove that i was going to hook up to a 40 amp breaker. When i went to buy the range receptacle i noticed they only carry 50 amp receptacles??? Do I need to find a 40amp receptacle from a true electrical supply company? Or do i need to upgrade my wiring to a 6-3 with a 50amp breaker,(which will have cost me about 300 dollars in wire buy the time im done if i have to rip it out) I am doing just a simple 30 inch flat cook top / range which the salesman at sears told me he looked up the amp requirements and it stated 40 amps.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&cName=&sName=

Any help that anyone could provide would help me greatly! Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-08, 04:53 PM
You can use the 50 Amp receptacle, it is most likely the correctone for the range. The 50 amp rating means that the receptacle is rated for "up to" 50 amps. No need to change the wiring and simply protect it with a 40 Amp breaker.

Old 03-10-08, 10:46 PM
Great!

I appreciate it a lot Rollie, now i don't need to spend another 150 and have to crawl around that dang attic full of insulation again. MUCH appreciated