Failed Inspection -Northern Virginia

Old 03-10-08, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Failed Inspection -Northern Virginia

My brother in law is helping me finishing my basement. He is pretty knowledgeable on electrical stuff. (He finished his basement himself) So we were working on electrical ourselves. Today County inspector came by and left the list of rejections. We are still scratching our heads on couple of violation that was pointed out.

1. Open 1/2" KO on a Recessed Light:

if I am missing a KO, aluminum housing, how do I reseal the KO? Do I have to buy a new recessed light?

2. Romex on HVAC line set in ceiling outside bathroom door:

Is this mean NM/Romex wire can't touch the duct or HVAC pipes? I have a wire touching a duct, and HVAC pipes that's going to outside AC units. I just want to make sure I understand inspector's note.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-08, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by orangenation View Post
My brother in law is helping me finishing my basement. He is pretty knowledgeable on electrical stuff. (He finished his basement himself) So we were working on electrical ourselves. Today County inspector came by and left the list of rejections. We are still scratching our heads on couple of violation that was pointed out.

1. Open 1/2" KO on a Recessed Light:

if I am missing a KO, aluminum housing, how do I reseal the KO? Do I have to buy a new recessed light?

Is this mean NM/Romex wire can't touch the duct or HVAC pipes? I have a wire touching a duct, and HVAC pipes that's going to outside AC units. I just want to make sure I understand inspector's note.

To answer your question related to the Inspector report :

1A .,, yes there is a blank KO [ Knock Out ] cover for it what we useally called by our trade slug filler basically it is a clip in to cover the hole many bigbox store and hardware store will carry this item.

2A i am not sure why the inspector is writing this up unless if the romax is too close to the joint edge and other part i don't really be sure unless you ask the inspector for his option maybe he can help you with the guideline with this matter.

Merci, Marc

Old 03-11-08, 06:51 AM
Received 128 Votes on 116 Posts
This is what you need to plug the hole.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/50...Knock_Out_Plug

Old 03-11-08, 07:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Marc's suggestion to ask the inspector is the best advice. If you tell them you don't understand what you need to do, they will either:

A. Be flattered you asked their opinion and tell you . Most inspectors have worked in the trade and like most of us are willing to share their knowledge.

B. Be disgusted you are such a know-nothing and tell you to read the code. Your response is to then ask which section?

Either way, you find out exactly what you need to do to correct it. I always try to remember if there were never any mistakes, the inspectors wouldn't have a job.

Nice response and great picture, joed.

Old 03-11-08, 07:33 AM
You must be in Fairfax. Everyone I know in Fairfax that has had to deal with inspectors has a horror story. I'm in Loudoun and so far the inspectors here have been great (HVAC and Plumbing). I've also called a couple of times and spoken with an Electric Inspector and I got some really good advice. I'm pretty sure I'll be ready. Even so, I haven't taken it personally when I've done something wrong. I've been kind of "upset" (that's the nice word for it) that HD sells plumbing supplies that do not meet code, but that's another story.

Good luck,
Tom

Old 03-11-08, 10:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by orangenation View Post
The HVAC line set usually refers to the copper tubing that carries the freon (or freon-like substance) to and from the condenser. Maybe he has a problem that the Romex is either tied to the tubing, or maybe just touching it. I'd agree, a quick call to him will probably sort it all out.