Electric Meter Not Spinning

Old 03-12-08, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric Meter Not Spinning

I've noticed today that my meter isn't spinning at all. If I tap it with my hand it will spin for a good minute or so then quit. I'm assuming this has been going on for a while because my bill has been near $20 for the last 3-4 months. I finally decided to investigate how cheap its been & found that out.

What should I do about this? I've heard about people being back-billed so thats why I didn't call the Electric Co. yet.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-08, 02:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I'd give them a call to let them know. They will find the problem eventually through auditing and it's better to pay for the last 3 months than many months or years. It's possible they may not even back bill at all just replace the meter and carry on.

Old 03-12-08, 02:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by kingjim9 View Post
What should I do about this? I've heard about people being back-billed so thats why I didn't call the Electric Co. yet.
It is 3-4 months now. If what you say is true, you wouldn't want to pay say a years worth of back bills, right?

Old 03-12-08, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by kingjim9 View Post
If I tap it with my hand it will spin for a good minute or so then quit.
Sweet, dude! Hide a timer-driven kicker in the wall behind it, U can bleed about 10% The Man will never catch on!!!11!

:mask:

Seriously, good advice in posts above. The poco ought to give you plenty of time on that billing period, because they did mislead you in the first place.

Old 03-12-08, 05:40 PM
Received 133 Votes on 119 Posts
I would do nothing. When they find it they will change the meter.
I have personally seen a bill that stated "meter stuck, meter changed". The current bill was $0.00 and there were no back charges. I suppose it depends on the POCO what the policy is for stuck meters.

Old 03-12-08, 05:44 PM
I work for a power company in Indiana and I would say if you called them, they would thank you for your honesty and replace the meter. Congrats on your integrity! We see so many people who try a host of tricks to by-pass their metering. It is refreshing to see someone as you!

In the near future, they will have "Smart Meters" installed in all residential areas that can supply feedback to us when there is a problem, a need for more power than normal, will offer significant discounts during times of high demand if you allow some control of A/C or hot water, and the list goes on & on. Soon there will be no meter readers to fight with the dogs either!

Again, thanks for the integrity you are showing!