Making current electrical wires longer?

Old 03-12-08, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Making current electrical wires longer?

I have an unfinished room that I want to finish, but the electrical wires that runs to most of the house run through that room and to finish the room I need to make those wires longer so I can hide them in the wall/ceiling. I'm thinking of doing it with junction boxes, but that means 2 junction boxes per line and I don't think it's a very good way of doing what I need done.
Has anyone else had this problem? How do I do this right, short of rerunning all of the wires?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-08, 09:06 PM
I'm not an expert by any means and I don't have any experience doing this, but here are a few ideas that come to mind:

-I would avoid installing junction boxes; you will have to keep them accessible, and every splice has a potential for failure.

-Install a subpanel closer to the load centers of your home and run the circuits to that (or run lots of cables and install a really big junction box).

-If your house has old wiring, you might want to consider replacing and upgrading it before you close the walls & ceiling of this room.

-Install a dropped ceiling.

-Frame a (smaller) finished area, including a lower ceiling (code permitting) that avoids or minimizes the need to move the wires.

Old 03-12-08, 10:19 PM
I'm curious--what kind of room is this that has all your house
wires running thru that are not in the studs or joists...

Old 03-12-08, 10:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You can have multiple circuits in one Jbox so if the wires are close together you could use one large box. Maybe you could design in a closet at the place it was needed so it could remain accessible but normally hidden from view.

Old 03-12-08, 10:49 PM
I assume you are talking about a basement. If this is the case you pretty much only have options.

1) Add at lease one junction box. As for the joints failing, this is only a problem if they are not made correctly. A correctly made joint with the proper size wire nut installed completely on will not have a problems.

2) Start from scratch. this is my preferred method as it gives you the most flexibility and you don't have to worry about tapping into the wrong neutral or pulling to much amps on a circuit.

If you can give me more details on the room, I would be glad to help come up with other options.

Old 03-13-08, 12:25 AM
You can use a pair of large enclosures, even old panel enclosures if they're stripped empty and have no openings wider than a screw hole. These are so common, I've got a few finds gathering dust after throwing some out. They usually still have clamps on them. Fill the unused knockouts with storebought cover buttons. Scrapyard nearby?

I would join two with wide feeder conduit, so the extra lengths (you need like less than 6' I guess) can simply run between boxes in the conduit.

Every place a wire is spliced or bonded, must be accessible to future electricians. Hide the twin beasts behind a sofa, paintings, or hatches, maybe in a little joke closet.

EDIT: Oh yeah - bond the thing to the heaviest ground wire that happens through. I don't think it's a good idea to go bonding all your grounds here if you can help it.

Old 03-13-08, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by Wooten View Post
I assume you are talking about a basement. If this is the case you pretty much only have options.

1) Add at lease one junction box. As for the joints failing, this is only a problem if they are not made correctly. A correctly made joint with the proper size wire nut installed completely on will not have a problems.

2) Start from scratch. this is my preferred method as it gives you the most flexibility and you don't have to worry about tapping into the wrong neutral or pulling to much amps on a circuit.

If you can give me more details on the room, I would be glad to help come up with other options.
This is actually upstairs and they never finished the ceiling so we consider it part of the attic since it's open to the attic above you. The room is right above the garage which is where the main box is located and instead of running the wires long enough to go along the studs and above where the ceiling should be they made them short, leaving them 6' or less short of being able to lay on the ceiling joists that I need to put up. I was thinking I could put the junction boxes in the main attic with a box around them for easy access later if needed. I used the wrong word when I said "hide them" I know they need to be accessable. I just need them out of the way and the attic is easy to get to.

Old 03-13-08, 10:37 PM
If the wires can reach the attic enough to put them in a box and make joints on them I would go with a big J-box or old gutted panel. If they are to short then here is what you do.

Find what ever wall joist the wires come up at. Then use a cut in box and make you splice joints in there and put some pig tails on it for a new plug . Or if a new plug is no desired in this location, then just put a blank plate on it. This is a truly win, win situation. If you have a questions on anything I put here. I am always her to help...